About The River

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Peony, Iris and Straw

Hello Friends,
Last week we had Tropical Rainstorm Cristobal in the forecast for Northwest Wisconsin.
My peony were just at the marshmallow stage. 
What is the marshmallow stage? It is just before a peony is to open, you touch the blossom and it feels like a marshmallow. You can cut your peony at this time, keep the stems  in the refrigerator and pull out the stems as you need to create bouquets. The peony will stay at marshmallow stage in the fridge for up to a month. Once you bring them out of the fridge, they will slowly open.

I decided with the tropical rainstorm on the way, I best cut the peony to create bouquets.
My peony garden tour will be bouquets and in the garden.

 












 The peony bouquets brought many smiles to my customers.
While working in the garden the scent of the peony makes me smile.


The big showstopper right now in the garden is this iris.
The blossom is huge. 

An adventure to get straw for my paths in the garden.

I wanted to get four bales of straw for my paths that I make in my gardens. My husband said "No Problem, all four bales will fit in the old car."
We have a old car. It was my Farmer Market Car when I did farmer markets. It is a great car. It has hauled flowers, wood, straw, plants, a huge bush and much more.
 

Zoom! Zoom!
Off we go with a load of straw.
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. I learned something new from you. Thanks for the tip for preserving peony stems in the refrigerator. I have used straw for mulching before. You can walk in the garden without getting your footwear dirty even on rainy days.
    Take care,
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about this Peony fact! So does the first picture show the marshmallow stage? Your flowers are just gorgeous! I can tell they are so well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Useful fact to know. I love peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla I did not know that about Peony's. Thanks for sharing that tip. I will remember that for next season. Mine have all opened up and are at the end stage.
    The straw idea is great. Happy New Week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you shared about the peony. Very interesting. I never see any hear but I remember them from Illinois. Lilac's and forsythia were my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm obsessed with peonies. I like irises too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great information on the peony blossoms. I will remember that for future seasons! I did cut all my peonies before the storm, but it ended up being fairly mild for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks for the tip …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of the marshmallow stage! After getting a bouquet from your flower stand and smelling them, I am falling in love with peonies again (my mom's were always covered in ants, so I was afraid to plant them in my yard). Maybe after we move I will have to get some!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never knew this, about peonies!!!

    Gorgeous flowers!

    Good old vehicle, keeps on working!!!!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!