About The River

Friday, October 29, 2021

Putting the Garden to Bed and Planting for Spring

 

 

First hard autumn frost, October 22, 2021.

 

Hello Friends, 

I am sharing my article for the

 October Issue Cameron Chronicle

"The Little Paper With Personality."

 

 

Putting the Garden to Bed

and

Planting for Spring


By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


We soon will be raking leaves and buttoning up the house for winter. Put your leaves to work for you. Use them as a mulch for your garden. Spread your leaves in the garden and landscape beds to reduce weeds, protect the soil surface, reduce watering, and provide so many other benefits. Adding mulch is one of the best things you can do for a healthier garden. Shredded leaves are of the best types of mulch around. Over time, the leaves will break down and return all their nutrients back into the soil.


It is time to think about tulips, daffodils, allium and crocus. Select quality bulbs. Pick the right spot, at least 6 hours of sunlight and well drained soil. Plant your bulbs deep enough. Check your package for the planting directions. Place them pointy side up. If you do not see a pointy side, look for where the roots come out.

Water well.

Protect your bulbs from critters. Spread a layer of mulch to hide your bulb holes. If that does not help, weigh down a piece of mesh or chicken wire over the soil to keep critters from digging. It should be safe to remove the protective mesh or wire after the bulbs start to sprout out of the ground.


15 comments:

  1. I always leave the leaves lie where they land in my garden. It helps with the plants in the Winter, and like you said id great mulch for your garden. Yikes frost. Not here yet thankfully. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great gardening tips, Carla, our heavy frost will be soon and we will be doing the same, for now I am gathering peas, and hot peppers and canning them! Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, excellent advice all the way around! Especially the idea of looking where the roots come out. I know ranunculus always puzzle me and I plant the "sideways" to hedge my bets - no more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an instructive and knowledgable writer! I love this frosty purple photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good tips on planting bulbs so they do not get eaten up and will come up in the Spring. Have a great weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the frost photo!

    Protect bulbs. We never knew how and gave up. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great article for gardeners. The squirrels are still digging out some of my perennial tulips bulbs in the perennial beds. They have been there for years and were blooming last spring.I decided not to plant any this fall. I'll probably be sorry in the spring.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good advice. Yes, leaves work well as mulch. Oak leaves take a little longer to break down, so I generally leave some and drag some away. We're fortunate to have paths in the back of the property where I can place them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice article you wrote. I'm sure a lot of people are happy to get your input.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every year I say I'm going to plant bulbs - I've never done it before. And every year comes and goes and I don't. I think there's still time here since it's only in the high 40's at night. Maybe I'll use your tips this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! Do you have any tips for moles? They are having a field day in my yard this fall! I am fearful that they have eaten all the bulbs I planted last year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tips! I am getting ready to plant some bulbs. I've never done it before. We still have not had a frost and it will probably be another month before we do! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such great tips here! I think we might get our first frost tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you believe that I've never planted a bulb in my life? My grandmother loved jonquils, and she had a bed with hundreds of them, and she always planted bulbs in the fall. You're a regular reporter now! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!