About The River

Monday, June 13, 2022

Girls Who Build

 

I recently listened to a podcast, The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe. Mike Rowe interviews Katie Hughes who is the founder of Girls Build. It was a great podcast. Katie is a unique young women, who lost her father very early in her life, in fact when she was just a tiny heartbeat in her mom's womb.

Katie has an amazing story. She founded Girls Build. I recently read her book.

It is worth checking out. I enjoyed reading the interviews in the book with the girls that have participated in Girls Build. 

Here are a few of the quotes from the girls.. the quotes make me smile.. I think they will make you smile too.

"I build because I like the feeling of accomplishing something. It makes me feel proud when I can say, 'I made that.'"

"Be okay with messing up.. The worst mistake you can make is giving up." 

"Sometimes (building) can be hard and frustrating, but in the end you get to make something you can be really proud of."

"If you want to learn something new, saying you can't do it is not going to get you anywhere."

And one more that made me chuckle.

  Who do you look up to?

I look up to my mom because she is very independent and strong and also has a plan for anything that goes wrong.

 

15 comments:

  1. I love Mike Rowe, what an interesting podcast that must be, I'll look for it! I think my daughter would enjoy the book, thanks for the suggestion! She's the "doer" in her household, lol. Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful is this sweet girl. What a great story. Thanks for sharing. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a very positive book/ podcast. Girls are more capable than they think. It sounds like me ,especially when I was a bit younger. I had confidence that I could do just about anything I put my hand at, as long as I stuck with it until it was finished. So often I would head to the library in the city and I would look for a book that would show me how to do just about anything within reason. I had more ambition then and loved the challenge and like one of the girl said in the quote, it made me proud that I could say, I made that...
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these quotes today, Carla. I sure needed them. Just had a frustrating morning trying to get someone to come out and fix the connection on my phone. Not getting service, ugghh. The person that you look up to is very special, indeed. This sounds like a wonderful book to read.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a super podcast!

    My husband had so much fun, wood working with our first Grand daughter. Today she and her husband-to-be are doing so many projects, on their first home.

    It's not only women, to which girls can look up. It's Grand Fathers who taught them their first how-to-do-it abilities, too.

    Gentle hugs,
    💗💓💗 💗💓💗 💗💓💗

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I hope the idea of men and women being divided by what kind of jobs they should do is long in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the quotes. Sounds like a very interesting book. I can't think of anyone that I looked up to growing up. Possibly my grandmother but I didn't see her very often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Mike Rowe and this sounds like a great book...empowering, uplifting with practical advice for building and life! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well first let me say thank you for telling me about Mike Rowe's podcast (I had never heard of him or it), and especially of his interview with Jessie Hagan. I've already listened to some of it and will finish it later! I'll have to listen to the one with Katie Hughes too! Sounds great. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too like the quotes. I will look up Mike rowe. Thank you Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good group, though I've not heard of them before. Nice quotes! Thanks for the post and making us aware.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this post, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very inspiring! The girls who were quoted sound very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful quotes and so very true!! Janice

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!