About The River

Friday, June 24, 2022

On the Road Friday ~ A Canoe Trip for Two

 

Hello Friends,

Thank you for joining me today for an,  On the Road Friday. My sister and husband won a trip for two through the Lower Chippewa River State Natural Area. They are in a middle of a house build and would not be able to use the prize. My sister gave it to us and we enjoyed a lovely 14 mile canoe down the Red Cedar River during the morning of June 5th.

 

We enjoyed a shore lunch.


Beautiful scenery, bird song and Wisconsin green.


We saw a doe with triplets, this was the first time in my life that I saw a doe with triplets. Mama deer was a good mom to those three little ones. As we canoed passed she had them hide.

We saw eagles, herons, swallows, kingfisher and orioles. 



 The Mole never heard a word he was saying. Absorbed in the new life he was entering upon, intoxicated with the sparkle, the ripple, the scents and the sounds and the sunlight, he trailed a paw in the water and dreamed long waking dreams. Mole said " You must think me very rude; but all this is so new to me. So -this - is - a River!" "The River, " corrected the Rat. "And you really live by the river? What a jolly life!" "By it and with it and on it and in it," said the Rat.

The Wind in the Willows
By Kenneth Grahame
 
Confluence 
We explored the confluence of the Red Cedar River and the Chippewa River.
 
con·flu·ence
/ˈkänˌflo͞oəns/
noun
the junction of two rivers, especially rivers of approximately equal width.
 

 We enjoyed our Canoe Trip for Two.
Thank you for coming along with me today, On the Road Friday!
Carla

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift for you and your husband. I can tell how much you enjoyed it.
    Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the weekend.

    It's been raining again this morning and it just stopped. I'll be back to weeding.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Seeing all this wildlife would have been my favorite thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you were able to enjoy that. Love the photos. Love what you shared from Kenneth Grahame. How special to see those babies too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely day! We take a canoe trip every year down a river in our area that opens to the ocean. It's always a great trip. Happy Weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carla. Your canoe trip looked so nice and relaxing and how sweet all the wild life you saw. That was nice of your sister to gift you this prize. Happy Friday. Have a good weekend. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice canoe trip you had, Carla. The mole story was cute. And a special treat to see the Mama deer with her three young ones. I really like the photo of all the greenery. That's so nice that your sister passed this canoe trip along to you. Looks like something I'd love to do Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. How good that you were able to use and enjoy the trip. I can tell you really enjoyed it and love the quote from Wind in the Willows. I still have a copy of that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One year we went on a float trip very early in the morning, before it got hot and people showed up with their coolers of beer. Mist on the river, wildlife abundant along the shore. Vultures in the trees with their wings spread waiting to warm up. Sounds like you had a lovely time. The Wind in the Willows is a favorite. I read it about once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I had left a comment but it hasn't shown up. If this is a "duplicate" of that one please do delete. One summer we went on a float trip very early in the morning, before it got hot and hordes showed up with their coolers of beer. We were the only ones on the river, and saw deer along the banks and all sorts of birds. It was wonderful. Wind in the Willows is a favorite, and I read it at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How neat that you were able to take the canoe trip! Sounds like a great time! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks so much fun.....but, since I can not Swim, I wouldn't dare go out in one! My brothers and sister all learned to swim...NOT ME!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks a lovely trip, so pleased you enjoyed it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful experience. And three baby deer!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a journey. That doe with triplets must have been a wonderful sight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a spectacular and special treat for the two of you! How nice of your sister to give it to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like such a nice adventure! I've seen triplet fawns but only once or twice. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!