About The River

Wednesday, May 24, 2023

It is the Hodgepodge and The Tale of Two Brothers

 

Samuel and Atticus 2019 on the frozen shores of Lake Superior

Hello Friends,

It is Wednesday and it is time for the Hodgepodge. 

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 1. May 24th is National Brother's Day. Do you have a brother? No Older or younger? Did you raise brothers? Yes Tell us something about your brother or tell us something about your own children who are brothers.

We are blessed that our two boys are also best friends. I grew up with all girls. Everyone in my extended family had girls. When my husband and I had children, we broke the cycle on my side of the family, as the first to have boys. 

2. A great book you've read or movie you enjoy that features brothers? 

Across Five Aprils 

Author Irene Hunt

 3. Something you think is overrated? Being on every social media account under the sun. Something you think is underrated? Making 'real' time to spend with family and friends.

 

 4. How much does your past shape you? I think my past has helped me grow to become a better person. I am always wanting to learn and improve to be the best person/citizen/wife/mother/friend/daughter/sister I can. What parts have shaped you the most? When the going gets tough, moving up the mountain and learning from the struggle.

 5. What's your favorite simple pleasure? 

Sitting in my garden watching the sunlight dance on the flowers, plants and trees.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

We purchased a character- building book when our boys were little. It was a favorite for us to read aloud. The art work is lovely as well. I highly recommend it.  

God's Wisdom for Little Boys ~ Character - Building Fun from Proverbs

Jim & Elizabeth George

Paintings by Judy Luenebrink

 

 

 

21 comments:

  1. Social media is so overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a blessing having siblings loving each other. God gave me three girls and one boy and there has always been a strong loving bond between them. Such a blessing,

    You are absolutely right, Social Media is way over rated. I think it has become a destabilizer in many relationships as less and less time is spent talking in person with family and friends.

    Enjoy the rest of the week.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about your overrated question!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post about your boys and brotherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't done social media for about 3 years and I am much happier for it. It was stressing me out. You all have mentioned quite a few good books about brothers that I will have to look into.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are correct - spending real time together is so important and so underrated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not into FB too much anymore. I just have my little blog that does not even get that much attention anymore lol! I agree with you we all need more family time off the computer and phones. Have a great rest of the week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always love your answer! Lately I have been obsessed with prim homes on You Tube. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to look for the book you mentioned for my grandchildren. My girls are very intentional in their parenting and that sounds like something they'd enjoy having. I would love to have tea in your lovely garden one day. Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet to have had those boys (brothers) and break the cycle. A special blessing that they are such good friends! Yes! Social media is overrated! I didn't think of that. Hope the rest of your week has garden watching and sunlight dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always good advice in your posts Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't realize that yesterday was Brother's Day but I love hearing that your sons are best friends. I didn't have a brother either, Carla, I had 3 younger sisters and out of a dozen cousins on my father's side only 2 were boys. And since neither of them had sons, my father's family name "daughtered off." Have you ever heard of that old term? Maybe it was known as that only in the South. But RH and I have 3 sons and 1 daughter and they're all close, which is such a blessing to me. They'll all be together this weekend when everyone is in town and I'll delight in watching them laughing and talking with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope to enjoy plenty of the same simple pleasure this Memorial Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I missed Brother day....I have a brother that is 3 years younger than me and my other brother is 7 years younger. Love both of these guys. I agree..social media has changed so many things in this world. It truly makes me sad for our younger generations of people. What kind of childhood memories will they have....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carla, it's so nice that your sons are best friends. We have lots of girls in our family too. Love this photo of Sam and Atticus at the frozen lake. The book you had when your boys were little sounds like a good one. I wish I would have known about it when my son was little. Your "mountain" answer, number 4, made my heart sing. I get to know you a little better with the hodgepodge posts, Carla. You are such a special mom/wife/daughter/sister/friend. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is very interesting about you being the first ones to have boys. Glad they are best friends. Love your answer for #4. I think I could have guessed your simple pleasure. Enjoyed reading your answers and I will check that book out from your random. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your answers...how fun to break the cycle...lol. I read a story not long ago about the first girl being born into a family after I want to say in like 138 years...so crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with many of your thoughts here, particularly #5. I love to work in the garden, but I also love to sit, relax, observe, and enjoy the garden. Blessings this Memorial Day weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like that photograph of Samuel and Atticus together.
    Hope you enjoyed a lovely weekend.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. So fun to read about your boys and your brother themed post. I have one brother and we are still very close, even though he lives far, far away. We spoke on the phone the other night for over an hour and we just laughed most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have two half-brothers and no, that does not make one whole brother. My brother Mike (born in 1965) and I share a father. My brother Shawn (born in 1969) and I share a mother. I am close with Mike but not so much with Shawn, simply because Shawn is so busy and tends to not interact as much. The last time I saw him was at our mother's funeral in 2020. A fictional brother story that I find fascinating is Legends of the Fall. As for true brother stories, I don't know how you can beat Orville and Wilbur Wright. For a simple pleasure, I love to roam an old cemetery with my camera in my hand. The book you mentioned sounds truly special -- as are Sam and Atticus. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!