About The River

Monday, June 19, 2023

Fill in the Gaps

 

Hello Friends,

Today I am going to share the article I wrote for the June issue of our village newspaper, Cameron Chronicle, "The Little Paper with Personality."

 

Fill in the Gaps

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


The garden season is upon us. As we look out at our borders we may see some gaps. This is the perfect time to fill those gaps. Many Garden Centers are having sales. Using annuals like marigolds, zinnias and snapdragons are a perfect way to pop color in the areas that you need to fill in your borders.


Do not be afraid to try planting a few vegetables in those empty spots as well. Not only are you filling the gaps, you will be able to have fresh vegetables.


Remember to deadhead flowers as they go over, this will encourage more flowers all throughout summer.


Prepare for summer storms by staking your taller perennials and vegetables.


Until next time, happy gardening!

14 comments:

  1. Easy to read and informative, as usual! This time I learned that you can plant veggies amongst your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information and advice Carla. Happy Summer and have a good week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up 3 lemon daylilies for $15 for my garden. YAY I use to plant veggies with my flowers at my old home. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Filling the gaps is good advice. Happy gardening, Carla.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice and practical suggestions for a non-gardener like me! Love the idea of planting a few vegetables in the gaps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article. It must be fun to be published.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the garden center sales!! Our gardens don't really start to fully bloom until July and August, so this is a perfect time for us to grab those bargains. Summer gardening hasn't really even started!! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting, Carla. I enjoy reading your newspaper column! :D Great advice for staking taller plants for storms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your articles that you write for the village newspaper are wonderful, Carla. You always give helpful tips and suggestions. My mini rose bushes made it through the winter's snow, and the first bloom came up recently. I was surprised to see it. This is a pretty sunflower picture.

    Happy Summer, dear friend!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy your articles and the knowledge you share. Hope you're enjoying the summer!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! I added some flower seeds to my veggie garden and I see things popping up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to read your article.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. As usual, some very good tips. I wish I was good at plants. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!