About The River

Friday, September 15, 2023

It is Planting Season

 

Garlic Harvest

Planting Garlic

Hello Friends, today I am sharing the article I wrote for the September issue of the Cameron Chronicle, our village newspaper.. the little paper with personality.

 

It is Planting Season

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


It is planting season. That is right, it is time to plant garlic, spring bulbs and vegetables.


Garlic is easy and a lot of fun to plant.

There are two varieties of garlic, softneck garlic and hardneck garlic. You will want to plant hardneck garlic. Hardneck garlic is a good choice for very cold winters.

How to Plant Garlic

  1. Plan to plant garlic in Autumn about 4-6 weeks before the ground freezes.

  2. Garlic grows best in loose, well-drained soil.

  3. Just prior to planting, break up the garlic heads into individual cloves, leaving as much of the papery covering on each clove intact as possible.

  4. Plant cloves 3" to 4" deep, place them so the pointy ends face up.

  5. Water gently to settle the soil, and then cover the bed with a 4" to 6" layer of straw. Even as air temperatures drop, the soil will stay warm enough for the newly planted cloves to establish roots before the ground freezes. Sometimes you'll see some green shoots form in Autumn it is fine and won't harm the garlic. They'll begin growing very quick in Spring.

Spring Bulbs

Tulips, daffodils, allium and crocus are just a few spring bulbs to plant this month.


Microgreens

Do not forget to start your microgreens indoors on your windowsill. This is a fun way to garden and eat tasty greens during all seasons.


Until next time, happy gardening!

14 comments:

  1. I planted garlic once but they didn't grow because I forgot to cover them with straw. I should try again as we eat a lot of garlic. Good luck with your garlics.

    We are bracing for Tropical Storm Lee.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew about spring bulbs being planted now but not about garlic. Very interesting. Have a good weekend. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never planted garlic. The first picture looks like a big leak almost. I've been thinking about planting some microgreens but am not sure I have good window areas to do that. How much sun do you need?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! We get so much of it from our CSA share, and I don't have much sun so I don't plant it. But it's delicious in so many dishes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep very good advise on planting garlic. I use to grow garlic at my old house and i love it. No room here. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing like garlic to make dishes taste better. I use garlic salt almost every time when I cook meats. How wonderful that you have a garden filled with garlic, Carla. There are many health benefits of garlic as well. Wonderful article, and many great tips!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. great article. We finally got some rain, so hopefully the ground will be where my bulbs can be planted by middle of Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your garlic. I am not at all green fingered !

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is wonderful advice. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I will tell TG that it is time to plant some tulip bulbs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every year we say we're going to plant bulbs...and then we forget about it until spring, when we say it again. Thanks for the reminder. Bulbs are on the shopping list now!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are some great tips! I should plant some bulbs. It's been awhile!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!