About The River

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Happy Autumn and It is the Hodgepodge!

 

Dahlia's are Autumn's showstopper flower!

Hello Friends,

It is Wednesday and that means it is time for the Hodgepodge. 

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 1. It's officially fall y'all. In the northern hemisphere anyway. Any signs of it where you are? What's your favorite thing about this time of year? 

Wisconsin likes to show off during the Autumn season. And as usual the pops of reds, yellows, oranges and burgundy colored leaves are all around us.

My favorite time about this time of year is you simply want to get cozy. Warm drinks, cozy blankets and the fireplace is glowing.

 

2. Have you visited any 'falls' in person? Tell us about one of your favorites? Of the following top ten famous falls (according to this site ) which would you most like to see in person-

Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe/Zambia), Igazu Falls (Argentina/Brazil), Niagara Falls (US/Canada), Angel Falls (Venezuela), Yosemite Falls (California), Dettifoss (Iceland) Kaieteur Falls (Guyana), Plitvice Waterfalls (Croatia), Gullfoss-Golden Falls (Iceland), or Sutherland Falls (New Zealand)

 Wisconsin has several beautiful waterfalls. And some are off the beaten road. Last summer our friends Deb and Bonita joined us to find one of these lost falls, Yarnell Creek Falls. It was a fun adventure and yes we found the falls.

I have not visited any of the top ten falls. My parents went to Niagara Falls for their honeymoon. I am going to pick Niagara Falls.  

 3. What's something you'll miss about summer? 

My garden. I love that I can just head outside and create a delicious fresh salad for lunch or dinner.  

 4. A favorite fall recipe?

It is tradition to roast pumpkin seeds after we carve pumpkins. Last year I roasted the seeds and shipped them to our son who was deployed at the time. He was so tickled that we shipped him pumpkin seeds.. they are one of his favorite treats of the Autumn season.


Recipe
Fresh pumpkin seeds
Olive oil
Cinnamon and Sugar

Preheat you oven to 300° 

Toss your pumpkin seeds 
your olive oil .. cinnamon and sugar all together.
Spread on to a cookie sheet.
Bake, stirring a few times, until crunchy and golden brown.
About 30 to 45 minutes.
Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

 

 5. Something you enjoy but lately have allowed it to 'fall by the wayside'? 

I have not been taking photos. My husband's hobby is photography, he is the picture taker. I too like to take photos, but this summer my picture taking  'fell by the wayside' in fact I did not take any photos of some of my flowers and hanging baskets. 

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 

"In a world full of people who couldn't care less, be someone who cares more." 

Author unknown 

17 comments:

  1. The pumpkin seeds sound so delish. How sweet you could get them to Sam while over in Africa. That probably was a great treat. This year he can have them at home. Yeah! Have a good week my friend. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew how to roast pumpkin seeds, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...Carla. Here we are with Fall in WI. I love this time of year. I was born and raised not too far from Niagara Falls and they are amazing...you kind of stand there in awe watching them. I would never think to add cinnamon/sugar to pumpkin seeds. I have always had them salted but I am going to try this now! xo xo xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe I've ever had pumpkin seeds with cinnamon and sugar! That sounds like a great combo. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have to roast some pumpkin sees this year. That's something I've never done, and your recipe sounds good. Thanks for sharing! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cozy is definitely the word for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet and thoughtful of you to send Sam, some roasted with love, pumpkins seeds from home.
    I bet it brought a big smile on his face. Sometimes, it's the little things that counts.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Niagara Falls are better on the Canadian side. Have been to both sides. Tahquamenon Falls or Root Beer Falls as we call them are beautiful up in our UP. I never thought to add cinnamon and sugar to pumpkin seeds. Will need to try that. I always roasted the seeds when my kids lived at home. Now I may need to buy a pumpkin to try your seeds. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness what a beautiful dahlia and your pumpkin seeds look delicious. I haven't carved any pumpkins yet but I will keep your recipe in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lovely looking dahlia.
    Many thanks for the pumpkin seeds recipe.

    Enjoy these last few days of September.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm...I'm going to make your cinnamon sugar seeds! They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We do have some beautiful waterfalls in Wisconsin, don't we? :) The recipe sounds delish! Happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never roasted pumpkin seeds, but they look good. Had to be a nice surprise for your son. I've not carved a pumpkin in YEARS, not since my daughter was small.......actually even then I didn't. It was always something she did with my Dad, sorta a tradition. Have seen lots of waterfalls when we used to hike out west, but don't remember the names of any of them. Not sure I have a favorite thing about Fall, as I'm always sad to see the end of summer. What I miss most about summer are the flowers, being able to sit outside without being cold for cocktails and or dinner, going for walks wearing shorts instead of layering. And then after Fall comes Winter and I really don't like winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your random thought. So true and such good advice. And thank you for the roasted pumpkin seeds recipe! Never heard of that. I copied it and have already told someone about it! Happy autumn, Carla! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those roasted pumpkin seeds look so good, Carla. What a wonderful thing to do every Fall. You know, when you mentioned the water falls....this mountain town is known for the water falls that are on the outskirts of the town. That photo of the Dahlia is so pretty, and looks just like Fall. That quote that you shared really spoke to me today, and I will write that one down.

    Happy October days, dear friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. My hubby is heading to Wisconsin the first week in November for work. I love finding new waterfalls. Oh, how could I forget pumpkin seeds. My son in laws family has a pumpkin patch and they grow a variety called a Kakai pumpkin that the seeds are already hulled....I LOVE them.I never got around to commenting on last weeks posts and figured I needed to play catch up. I hate posting and then not commenting. Uggh. We'll see if I get around to posting this week.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!