About The River

Wednesday, September 25, 2024

It is Wisconsin's Showtime!! And it is the Hodgepodge!

 

Hello Friends, it is Wednesday, that means it is time for the Hodgepodge. 

Yep, it is officially that time of year, when Wisconsin knows how to show off,  full in autumn color.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 1. It's officially fall y'all...in the northern hemisphere anyway. What are three of your favorite things about this particular season of the year? 

 

Pumpkins!!

Gourds!!

 

After the summer months ... heading back into the kitchen to bake and cook up our favorite comfort foods.

Carving pumpkins... our annual Pumpkin Carving Party... that also means family time!!

 

 


 

 2. Your favorite fall fabric-denim, flannel, tweed, corduroy, tartan, polar fleece, leather? Do you own something made with your favorite fall fabric? 

It would be flannel. Oh yes, my favorite flannel shirts. And of course my flannel pj's. And I cannot forget to mention our cozy flannel sheets.

 3. According to Everyday Health here are ten healthy fall foods- apples (flavonoids may improve brain health), pears (for heart friendly fiber), cranberries (helps your body fight oxidative stress) winter squash (for eye health), pumpkin (another great source of Vitamin A), leeks (an anti-inflammatory food), brussel sprouts (full of fiber and anti-oxidants), sweet potatoes (loaded with Vit A and C), parsnips (keep your bones healthy with Vit K), and broccoli (may help prevent cancer).


How many on the list do you eat on a regular basis? Which one is your favorite? Which one gets a big no thanks from you?  

Often during the autumn and winter months I will eat... apples, pears, cranberries, winter squash, pumpkin, leeks, brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes.  

My favorite would be.. pears!!

No thank you... parsnips and broccoli.

4. Tell us about the last time (or a recent time) you experienced a wave of nostalgia?

 

Looking back at photos... always gives me a wave of nostalgia. 

5. Sept. 22nd was National Daughter's Day. Like mother, like daughter...does this idiom ring true for you? You may answer in terms of your own role as a daughter or, if you have daughters, then your role as a mother of daughters. 

I will be answering in terms of my role as a daughter. My mom has a true gift of hospitality and she passed it on to me. 

Thank you, Mom!

  6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Autumn fishing in Wisconsin is another true treat. The autumn colors, no bugs biting, but oh yes the fish will be biting. 

 



3 comments:

  1. Ugh the beautiful autumn color! I envy you that; we don't get much and what we do get is well into November! But here if you close your eyes (and even if you keep them open, haha), it's still basically summer. We don't even bother with Indian summer; we just keep on having summer, hahaha! But some rain is coming our way and I hope it helps to nudge the fall color, along with a few cooler nights! Should do the trick. I love flannel too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all of your photos and answers. I love broccoli but feel about brussels sprouts how you do with broccoli.

    I have always wanted to go to Wisconsin. My good friend diane has a daughter who went to college and began her career in Madison. She loved it there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you eat really healthy! And I love how the leaves are used as part of the decoration in the 4th photo. I love flannel, too. It is the first fabric I think of when thinking of comfort fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!