About The River

Friday, October 4, 2013

On The Road Friday...to the Pumpkin Patch

Pumpkin Season has arrived! 
We took a drive last Friday and found this fun self-serve pumpkin patch. I love pumpkins. I have dreamed of having a pumpkin patch. In my mind I have it all planned out. I would  serve my guests  apple cider and my favorite pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting. :-)
 99 percent of all pumpkins are sold for decorations.
The average pumpkin weighs 10 to 20 pounds, and 90 percent of the fruit is water.
 Pumpkins once were recommended for removing freckles and curing snake bites.
 The word pumpkin takes its name from the medieval French word "pompom" meaning "cooked by the sun."
 One of the first published recipes for pumpkin pie (Pompkin Pudding) was in Amelia Simmons' 1796 cookbook, "American Cookery" which was the first cookbook to be written by an American and published in the United States.

Thank you for coming along with me to the Pumpkin Patch.
Have a great weekend. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been craving pumpkin pie. I love the bright orange pumpkins (my favorite color).

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!