About The River

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Five years ago today...

Five years ago today, I ventured out on my own to California, to meet a team of people I did not know, to travel to Ukraine for a missions trip. My boys were little! Sam just turned six and Atticus turned four! I only knew our Pastor's son Jeff,  a little bit. I met him once. (he was leading the missions trip). I had many obstacles to overcome. Fear! Missing my kids and husband! Being the only Wisconsinite in the bunch, the rest of the team was made up of California teens, and two other adults. 
 
God had planted a seed. I have always been fascinated with the country Ukraine. I studied the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl. I felt pain for the people as they continued to fight for freedom. 
 
Stepping back in time, eight years ago, my Pastor's wife was telling me about Jeff''s work in Ukraine. A fire burned in me, I shared with her how I have always wanted to go and help the kids. She said, "you just might be able, I will call Jeff and find out."
 
Five years ago today, I was flying to London, England. 
I will be blogging about this adventure, that changed my life. I will share some facts that may surprise you. Share some photos that will break your heart. As I type my story, tears will be streaming down my cheeks. 
I am thankful to God for letting me be able to go. I am also thankful to live in the United States of America! I was in Ukraine over the Fourth of July 2006...in a country were communism is still very much alive. In a country that has such corruption, Jeff told us not to bother to exchange address, you will never hear from them again. (I did exchange address with both of our translators, I wrote several times, I received one letter from each, and never heard from them again. They too, warned me, they may never get my mail!)  In a country, where most of the time they said to me, " We were taught that Americans did not care, they were not compassionate! You are so kind, you bring so much for us. Thank You, Thank You! We did not know Americans were compassionate."

1 comment:

  1. What a great post, Carla. God has given you a burden for the Ukranian people. It's interesting to me how people talk about the U.S. not caring, but there is no other country on earth that has helped people out more, given and given to other countries, and is the one others always look to when they're in trouble.

    I don't know if you had a chance to see the PBS American Experience video, The Great Famine, but it is so worth watching and maybe you can order it through the library. It shows the generosity of the American people, even when the Bolsheviks were standing at the door making sure that with the gift of food to their starving people came no 'American propaganda' against communism. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!