About The River

Monday, November 8, 2021

I Bring You the Garden Chat!

 


This summer I teamed up with our local Library to do a garden chat. May through September I did a presentation. For the month of May pollinators were the highlight of the presentation.

Creating a Pollinator Garden

If you love butterflies, you will want to create a pollinator garden. It is not as hard as you think. 



 That is me! The wind was so strong that evening, as you can tell by my hair.


 It was a fun evening. It was a great way to start off the Garden Chat's.

I am sharing the hand out I prepared for the event.


Butterfly Garden Essentials


To attract butterflies to your yard and garden, you need to plant both nectar and host plants. Nectar plants provide food for the adult butterflies that pass through your garden. It is important to have plants that will bloom each season, providing nectar for the butterflies.

If you want butterflies all season long, you should plant host plants. Host plants are the plants that the butterflies lay their eggs on and that the caterpillars eat.

Tips for Creating a Butterfly Garden


1. Lots of sun. Most butterfly plants need at least 6 hours of sun each day.


2. Planting in groups. It is easier for butterflies to see plants when they are planted in groups of three or more, because butterflies are nearsighted. When planting host plants, planting in groups will ensure that there is enough food for the caterpillar.


3. Shelter from the wind. Butterflies are delicate, so a little protection will help. Tall plants, trellises or fences.


4. Sunning spots. Rocks and stepping stones can be used by butterflies to warm themselves so they can fly when it is cool outside.


5. NO PESTICIDES! The most important thing to remember is that butterflies and caterpillars are insects. DO NOT USE PESTICIDE!


Black Swallowtail

Host/Larval Food Plants

Carrot, Dill, Parsley, Queen Anne’s Lace

Adult Food

Aster, Blazing Star, Chives, Phlox, Lantana, Milkweed, Zinnia


Monarch

Host/Larval Food Plants

Butterfly Weed, Common Milkweed, Swamp Milkweed

Adult Food

Aster, Blazing Star, Cosmos, Goldenrod, Lantana, Zinnia



 

16 comments:

  1. Seeing butterflies is so special. I remember there were a lots of butterflies years ago and then they became rarer. I imagine that a lot of people have been using pesticide and that's why we are seeing fewer. My brother in law is a bee keeper and the hives are not farm from my place so I haven't been using pesticide on my lawn.

    It looks like you have a captive audience listening to your talk. Way to go Carla. You are a great service to your community and a good example to the younger generation.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are able to share your knowledge and passion with your community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Carla, how wonderful that you know so much about gardening and plants and butterflies! I enjoyed reading the Garden Chat. That's impressive that you are featured there. And I loved seeing a picture of YOU!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful, you did such a good thing! Pollinators make the world go round!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice was this! What a nice presentation and I know everyone got a lot of good news on how to grow a garden to keep our environment going with good pollinators. Have a good week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that you shared your expertise! The work must have kept you busy &so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're really getting to do a lot in your community and helping so many people. It's interesting to read the different flowers for the stages of butterflies. Very good info! Thanks for sharing with us too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "If you love butterflies, you will want to create a pollinator garden."

    I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that looked like a fun and informative class. Think of the wind as your Beyonce fan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful information, Carla! I need to do this next spring when I get the poolside plants going again! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a super post!!!!!

    Now to have you repeat it, when it is time for us to get the necessary seeds/plants, in early spring.

    -smile-

    🍂 🍁 🍂

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome endeavor this was. My daughter wants a po11inator garden in OKC next year. Hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting! I ca add some of these plants in the spring because several plants on our plans were not available in October when our yard was replanted. You are so cute with that wind blowing your hair, LOL! I truly enjoy the programs at my local little library. Thanks for sharing this with us! I will refer back to it in the spring because I love butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How nice of you to participate in that. I don't think I could speak in front of anyone. Thank you for the information you shared. We have butterflies, lots of bees and hummingbirds each day. I love watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's wonderful to be able to share your knowledge within your community, great pictures and information.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carla, I love that you are so passionate about your art and that you share it with so many. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!