About The River

Friday, January 21, 2022

January Article for the Cameron Chronicle ~ Preparing to Order Seeds

 

Hello Friends,

Here is my January 2022 Article for the 

Cameron Chronicle "The Little Paper With Personality." 

 

 

Preparing to Order Seeds

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


My Garden Motto

Plant..

Something Fun

Something New

Something Tried and True

Seed catalogs are arriving in the mailbox. We are starting to get excited to plan the 2022 garden. At times looking through those seed catalogs can get rather overwhelming with all the lovely photos of vegetables and flowers. Here are a few simple tips to help with that overwhelming feeling.

Draw a map of your garden and plot out what you want to plant. This helps in knowing what space you have and not going over budget on purchasing seeds and plants you do not have room for in the garden.

Keeping a garden journal has become very helpful for me. Saving the year before seed order and writing notes about your favorite varieties. Writing notes about what worked and what did not work.

Take inventory of the seeds you do have before placing your order. In my case, I have saved seed, left over seed and seed gifted to me by friends.

Take time to learn about the vegetables and flowers you want to grow.

Do you have enough sunlight and room for the plants you want to plant?

Take time to do some research and plotting out your garden on paper first. Keeping these tips in mind will help reduce that overwhelming feeling when placing that seed order.

 


15 comments:

  1. This gets me excited for spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My other home I had an acre of land filled with a garden and many flower beds with walkways. I loved perusing through the seed catalogs this time of year, planning out which seeds and plants I would order. It was fun! Good luck deciding on yours. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been going over my seed catalogue from Vesey's Seeds from PEI, and you are right, it can get overwhelming. Seeds are very expensive. I tend to order more than I plant.

    It looks like you have a head start on petunia cuttings. I haven't started any seeds yet except planted Sweet Potato vines. I used to plan every garden but now because of flooding in our area, I tend to plant less annuals as most of my plants are perennials. It's always fun to start my own seeds inside though.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so helpful to new gardeners!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really your article. Lots of good information. I've just ordered some new panels for my little greenhouse. We built the greenhouse in 2011 but now the panels are breaking and cracking and the wind has blown out two of the panels. We taped them the best we could. Hopefully the new ones will arrive soon. Love Henny I've meant to thank you for the Christmas card and letter. I enjoyed them so much, and seeing the boys was a treat. Thank you Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips. I know it feels good to begin thinking about Spring and your garden starting. Have fun getting your seeds going soon. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't garden, other than buy plants, for pots.

    My husband likes to look at the seed catalogues though, although he doesn't do much, anymore.

    🌲❄⛄🌲❄⛄🌲

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. Growing season to begin soon! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent advice! I love drawing a map and seeing where I want to plant things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No cata1ogs here yet. But I have p1anted a seed as an experiment. Sunf1ower seed in a pop bott1e........it sprouted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good tips! I like it when you share your articles with us. I just received a catalog of David Austin roses, and I wish I could afford a couple or three!!! They are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I won't be placing a seed order (two black thumbs here, to go with me pirate-black heart, haha), but I did have some (albeit limited) success with my three huge poolside pots, so I hope to do even better this year. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a good article Carla :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!