About The River

Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Roasted Tomato Sauce

Hello Friends,

I shared this post in October of 2021. With tomato season fast approaching us here in Wisconsin I thought I would share it again. This is an easy way to make tomato sauce to enjoy this winter when you need a taste of late summer. 


 ♥

Carla

 

 

Roasted Tomato Sauce


 

The following recipe is from Frances Palmer. I did a book review of her book ~  Life in the Studio ~ Inspiration and Lessons on Creativity by Frances Palmer

I am going to share her Roasted Tomato Sauce recipe, it is wonderful!

Roasted Tomato Sauce

3 pounds of tomatoes

5 garlic cloves

1/4 cup olive oil

1 tablespoon of salt

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Mixed fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme and basil

 Preheat oven to 400° F

Spread the tomatoes and garlic in a small roasting pan or shallow ovenproof dish.

Pour olive oil over them, then sprinkle with the salt and red pepper flakes.

Scatter the herbs over the top. Roast for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until the tomatoes begin to collapse and the tops are a nice blackened brown. Let the tomatoes cool until they are at room temperature.

Place food mill on top of large bowl. Scrape everything from the roasting pan into the mill. Puree the mixture. Pour into freezer containers.

 On a cold January pull out of the freezer to use in beef stew, pizza, pasta and soups.

And the taste of summer will be back warming you.

 

 

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe again. I make something similar with cherry tomatoes. I love the taste of roasted tomatoes with garlic and basil.
    Enjoy your bounty.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing! I'm not having the best luck with my tomatoes this year but the few we've gotten, have been delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think our daughter does this!!!

    Should try it, with our brand new stove! :-)

    Our old stove died after 21 years, which was good use. Got new one delivered yesterday.

    Don't want to use it! Get it dirty! LOL

    Boiled pasta today, for Macaroni Salad though!!! A start.

    Gentle hugs
    💛 💛 💛 💛

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this roasted tomato sauce looks delicious, Carla. So many dishes you can make using it.
    I think basil makes sauces taste better. Thanks for sharing. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks and sounds delicious. We just did something similar with our cherry tomatoes. Now we just found out that Mark can no longer eat tomatoes. He has silent acid reflex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to have the tomatoes from the summer garden all year around. Bravo my friend. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I have so many extra tomatoes (I grow them and we have a CSA share), so I might have to try this. With most of my tomatoes from the CSA, I simmer them briefly and peel the skins, and then cut into pieces for freezing. The ones from the garden mostly get eaten in BLTs and other fresh foods. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be making this recipe next! So many tomatoes, and trying so many new recipes. Do you have a recipe you recommend for tomato soup?

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!