About The River

Friday, March 10, 2023

On The Road Friday ~ Eagle River, Wisconsin

 Hello Friends,

Today we are on the road to Eagle River, Wisconsin. My sister and her husband moved to Eagle River last year. This is their first winter in Eagle River. We visited the weekend of February 17th - 19th. It was a fantastic weather weekend.

Saturday morning we hiked the trails that my brother in law has been making on the property. It was a beautiful sun filled morning. 



 Saturday evening we went to a hockey game, we watched the Wisconsin Windigo. 

 

 The Eagle River Sports Arena is recognized by the Wisconsin Registry of Historic Places. It really is a unique building. It is very comfortable watching hockey in the stands.

 

Home to the Wisconsin Hockey Hall of Fame, Eagle River is where to find our state’s best hockey memorabilia and honors of its 69 inductees. The Eagle River Sports Arena has been housing the Hall of Fame since 1975; but long before that, the arena held a history of its own for its notable dome shape, constructed by local volunteer carpenters and towns people. Built in 1933, the arena was designed to promote winter tourism in the area and is now recognized by the Wisconsin Registry of Historic Places.

 

A few more photos from the game.




 

 The game went into overtime and the Windigo won!

It was an exciting hockey game.

Thank you for coming along with me to Eagle River, Wisconsin. 

 ♥

Carla

 

14 comments:

  1. Cool shadows in the snow... I enlarged the photos and you all look like Michelin Tire people, lol... It looks like you both have enjoyed the winter sports. Unfortunately, neither me or my husband ever participated in winter sport or any sports for that matter so haven't been to hockey games since I was a young girl.

    The snow is still melting. Wow! Only 10 days to official spring.
    ❤️
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shadow pics. Sounds like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That arena is truly spectacular! What an architectural feat. Sounds like you had a treat of a weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy watching hockey!! But, don't know the rules all that well. Interesting history of the arena

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad and uncle took me to a hockey game when I was young, maybe about 10. I don't remember much about it except that someone got hurt and there was blood smeared on the ice. Fast forward may years. Our son became interested in hockey when he lived in St. Louis, and on our last trip to see my family in Los Angeles, my brother (who knew someone connected with the Kings) got them into the rink for practice and a photo shoot with one of the players, and he came home with a hockey puck. It was a high point of our boy's life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This arena is really stunning. Both modern and old fashioned at the same time, I think it is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the shadow pics and that had great weather to visit your sister. The game looks like fun and I love that the arena has such history. The ceiling is really cool, too. I bet I'd be watching it more than the game!! Hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear an arena was given historical designation. So many of our hockey arenas have been demolished and we are called Hockeytown. Wish someone would have thought of preserving our own arena. So glad you were able to walk new trails and your shadows were cute. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! Eagle River is a beautiful place--too far north for me, but beautiful for a summer getaway. We got 6+ inches of snow last night, which melted down to about 3 inches today. Spring, please win soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your shadow pictures. Very cool. Sounds like you had a very good time. Love watching hockey, though it's been a long time since we've done that in person. We used to have an IHL team in our city and we had season tickets for years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like it was a nice visit with them. Back in Chicago we went with our best couple friends to Eagle River and learned how to cross country ski.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love visiting Eagle River, my boys played hockey as well as my husband and going to a game there would be so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nice visit to your sister's home. I like the fact that your brother-in-law made some of his own trails to hike. It made me chuckle, as sometimes we have to do that in the areas where we live. That is a cool shadow photo. That's great that their hockey team won! I've always thought hockey was a wonderful and rugged sport. I'd love to see one in person sometime. Your posts are so genuine, and filled with lots of uniqueness, Carla.

    Have a great week ahead.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun weekend! I'm fascinated with hockey since we don't play that sport very often here in the South.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!