About The River

Friday, July 28, 2023

On The Road Friday ~ Devil's Lake, Wisconsin

 

Hello Friends,

This is not a tall tale.. nope it is a true adventure of our time on Devil's Lake.

We will start from the beginning, our friend Bonita lives in Florida most of the year. She use to live in Wisconsin all year around, but her son lives in Florida, so she moved to Florida to be closer to family. 

Each summer she comes back to Wisconsin. Each summer we have a kayaking adventure. Last year we kayaked the evening of the Summer Solstice and stayed out as late as we could during the longest day of the year.

We planned this years adventure for July 16th. Looking at the weather forecast, it said sunshine and a bit breezy. Oh my, a perfect day to be on the water. 

As we headed out on to the water, my husband noticed a dark cloud. Could this cloud be coming our way? No, it looks to be blowing in the other direction. Besides, the weather forecast says .. sunshine and a breeze. 

Well the breeze turned into a high wind, the cloud turned into thunder and we paddled to safety on the shoreline. We huddled under some brush. Our dear friend Bonita is deathly scared of snakes. Snakes were all  she could think about while huddled under the brush. Do you see any snakes? Then we started to ask, do you see poison ivy or poison oak? It thundered, the wind blew and then it was all over. And as we started to dry off the kayak seats we noticed the No Trespassing Sign on the other side of the brush. Oh Bother!!

We got back into our kayaks and paddled on to our destination to the Big Devil's Lake. We were in between Little Devil's Lake and Big Devil's Lake,  in the channel when the breeze decided to become wind and the dark could became thunder. And one does not look for No Trespassing signs when paddling to safety.

We had a great explore on Big Devil's Lake and paddled back to Bonita's  .. to no power. 

To end our evening we went to the Campground Club House and enjoyed a bowl of ice cream.. with every one else because we all  had the same idea.. with no power .. we don't want the ice cream to melt in the ice cooler. 

Hee Hee!

And that is our adventure with our friend Bonita. It is not our first adventure with her. No, we ended up in another storm years past. We were heading home from spending the day with her. We got caught in a terrible storm we had to unload our canoe at a complete strangers because the wind was so bad to travel with it. Thankfully the stranger was very kind and let us leave the canoe to pick up the next day.

No tall tale.. just another adventure with our friend Bonita.. I wonder what next summer will bring?

♥ 

Carla

10 comments:

  1. Florida! I am surprised, happily, there was no alligator in this story.

    Oh, wait...she lives in Florida, bur you were in Wisconsin! Ok. Nothing to watch out for but bears. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was definitely an adventure. Glad you were safe and got to spend some time with Bonita. Also very nice of those people to let you keep your canoe at their house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it sounds like you chose the correct course of action under the circumstances. The weather has been so weird lately. Sudden storms, very high heat, drought, then downpours. Devil's Lake is one of our favorite places. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like when she visits, you get a double adventure! Both planned and unplanned! I am glad you got no snakes or poison ivy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Carla....I am thankful that this had a good ending. I am like your friend....I don't do snakes nor do I do Thunderstorms and lightning. Plus...I can't swim! I would have been in a pickle. Bless your hearts.....glad the day ended with something sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that your adventure ended with no catastrophe. My adventures are rather tame compared to yours.

    A few weeks ago, I was going to my garden shed and I noticed a huge porcupine coming toward me from the neighbour's uncut yard. He was about 15 feet away from me.
    I stopped in my track and just stared at him and he was looking at me with his quills up. I slowly reached for the shed door. He quickly turned around and ran away and hid in the tall grass, still with his quills up.

    Enjoy the weekend.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW some adventures indeed. I'd be afraid of snakes myself. So glad it was not a really bad storm. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I hope all the adventures end with a bowl of ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire your spirit of adventure. Like your green thumb, I do not share these traits with you, haahahaa! My but hanging out with Bonita does sound like fun. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. "one does not look for No Trespassing signs when paddling to safety"...haha!! No they do not!! Glad you were safe and that no snakes were spotted while you were waiting out the storm! And ice cream? Yum, what kind did you eat?

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!