About The River

Monday, October 16, 2023

Hello Autumn


 

Hello Friends,

Today I am sharing the article I wrote for the October issue of our village newspaper, Cameron Chronicle.. the little paper with personality.

 

Hello Autumn

By Carla TePaske of Cameron, WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


Autumn is here and it is time to spruce up your entry using different items from the garden to create a perfect welcome to your home.

Squash, pumpkins and even those too big to eat zucchini can make a fun cornucopia at the front door. Bundle some tall grasses and purchase a mum. You just created a welcoming entry.


It is a good idea to clean your tools at the end of the season. Remove any caked on dirt. Scrub off rust with steel wool.

Remember to put your leaves to work. Leaves make a great mulch. They provide weed suppression and plenty of insulation as well as nutrients that will enrich the soil as they degrade.


Until next time, happy gardening!


12 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your fall arrangement in the little pumpkin. It is a showstopper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut some evergreens (juniper?_ and added dried hydrangeas and bittersweet berries to some baskets on the porch. I always enjoy your articles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fall decoration for your entrance, Carla. and also your advice. We had lots of big zucchini and people use them to make zucchini bread. Some peeled and shredded the flesh and froze it for later use. We donated some to the Food Bank along with a lot of potatoes, and squash.

    I didn't prepared any decoration from my front door as a plant nursery gave us 3 large potted mums for the front door and I gave one to the church.

    Take care, hugs.
    Julia



    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of good suggestions. I am happy to see fall finally here. Have a great new week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that sweet pumpkin! Great tips, too. I need to tell my husband to save some leaves for the beds. He usually bags them all up and carts them away. 🫣

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our front porch bakes in the afternoon sun so it's tricky to decorate. I have two mums that are surviving but we've had a bit cooler weather this week. Next week the temps go back up and that porch gets so much sunlight we'll see how things go. I have pumpkins there too. They might become pie right on the porch : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advise. I always let the leaves stay in my flower beds until Spring. Love your display! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy autumn! Good advice; we need to get our pumpkins. We flirted with frost last night/this morning, but still many flowers blooming. Weirdly, the next week will be warmer than the first three of October.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ideas for a front porch entryway. And I love the arrangement you put together for your front area. It's so Fall looking. ; )

    Have a good October week, dear Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent ideas and advice. Hope all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like your arrangement and always nice to read your articles.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. All lovely ideas! I've enjoyed my mum, and wish I could have a few more days with it. I don't know that Mother Nature's plans are in line with mine!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!