About The River

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

The Bear of Very Little Brain and it is the Hodgepodge

 

We are having a cold snap here in Wisconsin. Oh my, the wind. Negative windchill of -20! I have to check the coop for eggs throughout the day or the eggs will freeze. Everything creaks and groans in the cold. It takes a wee bit longer to get ready to go outside as we put on layers upon layers. On the positive side, we have sunshine.

And now for the Hodgepodge!

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

 1. On January 18th we commemorate A.A. Milne's birthday. Milne is the author of the beloved classic Winnie the Pooh. In many ways Pooh represents innocence and simplicity. His optimism reminds us to appreciate the little things. What are three little things you're appreciating in mid-January? 

♥ a warm house

♥ hot tea

♥ slippers

 2. Piglet teaches us even the smallest of individuals can achieve big things with the proper amount of determination. How do your current responsibilities make you feel? 

This weekend we start to plan our garden. I will pick out the flowers that I will grow for the up coming season for my fresh cut bouquets. It is always fun for us to page though the seed catalogs, read about the upcoming trends in gardening and what we might pick new to grow. It all makes me feel excited for spring.

 3. Tigger is known for his enthusiasm and energy, his boundless joy and love of life. What's something you're interested in learning more about in this new year? 

We recently adopted a rescue dog, we are in the training process. It is different from our first dog, Molly, who we purchased as a puppy. Patience and time is the name of the game. Oh my, the love we receive from this little dog. At times I wish he could talk and tell us his story of surviving on the streets.

 4. Eeyore, while a melancholy character, teaches us the importance of resilience and perseverance. How do you stay motivated and persevere in difficult circumstances?

I try to surround myself with positive people, quotes of those who have persevered in difficult times before me, and books. I seek wisdom from God.

5. What's the last thing you ate that was made with honey?  

I enjoyed a slice of toast with honey.

6. Insert your own random thought here.    

I love Winnie - the - Pooh!! 

We decorated our nursery with Winnie -the- Pooh.

"When face to face with a Heffalump, it is best not to make conversation at all. When it says, "Ho-ho!" just hum to yourself.

"Owl told him a very long story about an aunt who had once laid a seagull's egg by mistake, and the story went on and on.... "


 ♥

 

 

25 comments:

  1. It is so good to be around positive people who encourage instead of drag you down. Kind of you to adopt the sweet dog. Stay out of that wind! Happy hodgepodge to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, love that quote! I really loved my father reading Winnie the Pooh to my sister and me when we were younger. Love your other answers too. I totally feel you about the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winnie the Pooh tales take me back to my own childhood and my mother reading them to my sister and I. Do you have a greenhouse? We have a lot of gardening challenges here given the heat and humidity, but I'm determined to make something grow this year. My hubs has the green thumb and keeps quite a few of our outdoor plants growing indoors all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A warm house and slippers on a cold day are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're heading into a cold snap too. Not as cold as yours but very cold nonetheless. I enjoyed reading your answers to this fun hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this post! So many good and wonderful things here! I too love Winnie the Poo! Girl...I can not imagine temps in the negatives. We have been in the low teens here in Texas this week and I have been freezing. Almost too miserable to go out. Bless your hearts...I admire you. Thank you for a good read today...hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I am thankful for a warm house! This morning though, the heat ran maybe 2 cycles before we lost power. And it's the coldest it has been yet this winter: 25 with a feels like of 16. here in Florida, we don't like that very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry, it's so cold in Wisconsin. Too bad you don't have little jackets for your hens to keep them warm in the winter like we had jackets for our little calves. I hope it'll warm up soon. It's so nice noticing that the daylight time is getting longer already.
    I like all your answers as usual. I love Winnie the Pooh too.
    Take care and say warm.
    Hugs. Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ernie is adorable for sure! Maybe some close-ups some time?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always love your sweet answers. Glad your chicken are staying warm and still laying. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, minus 20 is sure cold, Carla. I do hope you take care and stay warm. Winnie the Pooh is delightful. I'm glad your pup is coming along and settling in with the family. I love your answer to number 4. Your slice of toast with honey sounds Yummy. Carla, I just watched a movie called Farrmland. I thought about you right away, as you appreciate the farmers as well. I think you'd like this show. I saw it on tubi.

    Enjoy planning out your garden, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the reminder! We'll have to have some Pooh-themed fun at school today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sunshine does help but I'm sorry it's been so cold. Amber had -31 one day. That is something about the eggs. I do understand why you have to check several times a day. I like the three things you are appreciating. Good luck with your garden planning. I'm so happy about your dog. I sure do miss our Skye. I find myself talking to God all day long. A few people mentioned toast with honey. Do you butter it too? Enjoyed your random. Take care and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, the cold and the layers... I thought we were going to get off easy with a mild winter. Oh well, it's only a week, and then we're back to above-normal temperatures. Take care and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Winnie the Pooh and saved an online puzzle to do later of Pooh and the honey pot! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's cold here, too!! Sooooo cold! I've been all about a warm house and slippers...and today i was all about hot chocolate. Winter does have its perks!! Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also appreciate a warm home, reliable car and slippers in January. We are finally out of the deep freeze for a bit. The last thing I made with honey was baked salmon with honey on it. We use local honey to help with immune system. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that is just too cold. That is one lucky dog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your answer to #1. I hope to someday have a garden again..or at least landscaping. I love winnie the pooh too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love Winne the Pooh, I remember so many special memories of reading the stories to our children. Have fun with your new dog! So many little things to be thankful for in these wintry days ... and I am perusing the seed catalogs as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit, Carla. Good luck with your new little rescue...hope the training goes smoothly. I have been tempted to get another dog since our little pearl died a few years ago - but haven't been brave enough to take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always liked Winnie the Pooh :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am definitely a natural-born Eeyore, although I vacillate between being him and Tigger, hahaha! I wear socks and slides instead of slippers, and coffee instead of tea, and though I keep my house relatively cool, we know how to be cozy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a sweet Hodgepodge this was.
    Glad those negative temps are behind us!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!