About The River

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

The First Hodgepodge of the Year!

 

Hello Friends, it is Wednesday and that means it is time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 

 1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2024-

hack, impact, at the end of the day, rizz, slay, iconic, cringe worthy, obsessed, side hustle, wait for it

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? I will pick hack, more because I would love to see 'hacking computers,personal information' banished!!  Are any of these a regular part of your speech? No, I do not use any of the above in my regular speech. Is there a word not on the list that you'd like to add? I am so tired of profanity, everywhere I turn. Some say they have gotten use to it, not me. I just do not think you need to use the F... word to pick out cereal. I witnessed just that as a mother said to her young children, "pick out your f...... cereal."


 2. What do you wish you'd done more of last year? Less of? 

I wish we would have gotten out kayaking more often, we just did not get out as often as we did in 2022.

Less of, time spent looking up and reading about current events that are completely out of my control.

 

 3. A place you'd like to visit in this new year? Do you think you will? 

The International Peace Garden... I had this on my list last year and did not make it, so I will give it another try this year.

 4.What are three words to sum up or describe your 2023? 

Blessed!

Home!

Family!

 


 



5. What advice would you like to give yourself as we begin a new year? 

Continue to spread as much sunlight as you can in a dark world.
 
 6. Insert your own random thought here. 
 
Pray to God, continue to row toward shore, and take time for all things.
 

18 comments:

  1. Love your advice to yourself and your random thought, which is really not very random at all but is more good advice! And yes, I am with you on the f-bombs. It has become completely ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the f-word. It's commonplace now but still can startle me when it's just casually dropped into conversation. We didn't do a lot of kayaking last year either. I definitely need to move more. I enjoy activities that are naturally more sedentary (like reading and writing), especially in the winter months. We were going to walk this morning and it was 20 degrees so I passed. We aren't normally that cold, and will have some nice days even in January and February which I will try to take advantage of. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this to start the new year. Beautiful sweet friend. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your answers, Carla. They are always full of common sense.
    I'm with you with the offensive F-word and would like to be banished for ever from every lips of everyone, especially from parents.
    How can a parent talk to their kids like that and expect them to be respectful of others.

    I used the word "hustle" this morning in a comment. Hustle and bustle is in my vocabulary especially around Christmas Holidays.

    I also love your random thought.

    Have a Blessed 2024.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla, great thoughts for the new year! That is such a sad thing you overheard by that mom! So many great words to use in the world of words, why use those?? Sweet photo of you with your 'boys'! Happy 2024 to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos of your military children. I love the military. My husband served 20 years and my son served 6. Not to mention family members. I bleed red, white and blue! Anyway, enjoyed your answers. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pinecone. They are a favorite of mine. Wow, that's something about that mother and the "F" word. I agree, out country is out of control and reading about all of it is depressing. Hope you get to the peace garden. Love your three words and what a lovely photo. Yes, spread that sunshine! God hears our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 2024 to you and your family! Love those words you picked to describe last year. I can't believe a parent uses the F-word to her child. Of course, I don't know the whole situation and I myself do use bad language too when I've lost my temper, but that's exactly one of the many reasons I'm not a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful family photo. <3 To answer your question about words to banish (or reduce their use), I would say "impact" as a verb. In college, I was taught to use it mainly as a noun (have an impact on), and that "affect" or other words are better choices as verbs. Impact is now overused as a verb, and it makes me cringe every time I hear it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blessed! Home! Family!
    These were three excellent words for your 2023 choice, and I like the photograph.

    Hope 2024 has started well for you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the first Hodgepodge! I love reading your answers. Sounds like you have a great plan for 2024!! Happy New Year my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always spread a lot of sunshine to my days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Better late than never commenting...lol. I don't like the F word either. I've never heard of the Peace garden but it sounds nice. YEs to spreading sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that all of those words and phrases should be banished, and I could add lots but I won't except to say, I would be happy to never hear or see in writing the words yummy and hubby again, hahahaha! Also everyone please stop saying "asking for a friend." And I agree with you about profanity. We have allowed ourselves as a society to grow so crude and vulgar and inappropriate. God please help us find our way. I wish I had done more writing last year, and taken more pictures, and read less "news" which is not news but only one part sensationalism, one part propaganda, with perhaps one half of one percent of truth sprinkled throughout so furtively that you could never find it even if you tried. I would love to visit The Berkshires -- a group of villages and small towns in Western Massachusetts. Perhaps 2024 will be the year. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes to sunlight!
    I am horrified that you heard a parent saying that to their child. Maybe that's why I don't listen much in the stores. Cliff always has stories for me when we leave a store of things that I missed!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!