About The River

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

It is a Pecan Pie Hodgepodge

 

Happy Birthday to my guy!

It is Wednesday and that means it is time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 1. Do you have a word for the year (WOTY)? If so, and you'd like to share, please share. How do you decide on a word? If you don't have a word are you still on the hunt for one for 2024? 

2024 will be my third year picking a WOTY. My husband encouraged me to do it. My first word was Sunsine.. last year I chose Truth. How do I decide on my WOTY? I think of something I want to work on. I wanted to work on spreading more Sunsine. And last year I wanted to stay close to Truth. 

I do have a 2024 word picked out and plan to write a post on why I decided on it. I will give you a hint, it starts with the letter C.

 2. January 23rd is National Pie Day...will you celebrate? Do you like pie? What's your favorite? 

I do like pie! My favorite pie is Rhubarb. My husband who is celebrating a birthday today will come home to a homemade pecan pie, his all time favorite dessert.

3. Tipping. What are your thoughts, expectations, as to who, when where? Do you appreciate a store/restaurant giving a 'suggested amount'? Have you ever left an extravagant tip?  

 I worked as a waitress and I tried my best to be tipped well, that was where the money was to be made. Yes, we have left a generous tip several times. It was because the person truly cared about serving and serving well.

 4. Share with us one household 'tip' that works for you. 

When I come in with dirty shoes (which can be often during the garden season) I get it cleaned up right away, so the dirt does not get tracked further into the house. 

  5. Influencers on social media are people who've built a reputation for their knowledge and expertise on a particular subject. Do you follow any influencers online? Have you made a purchase or tried something new because of that 'influence'? If there's one you particularly enjoy tell us who they are and why you enjoy them. 

This is an interesting question, because I just read an article about 'influencers .. Ballerina Farm'.  City folk turned homestead.... and somehow people learned that her husbands family owns Jet Blue and began to question the authentic part of the influencing that they have done to build their homestead. They also have 8 or 10 little ones and Mrs. Ballerina Farm is going on to compete at Mrs. World. In all honesty, I do not care about Ballerina Farm just as long as they are contributing to society in a GOOD WAY!!! 

I have also read articles where Social Media infuencers are targeting young confused boys and girls. And those influencers are NOT contributing to society in a GOOD WAY! 

  It all made me shake my head and I am thankful that NO I do not follow influencers. When all is done and said, I make myself take a step back and remember to THINK FOR MYSELF.

6. Insert your own random thought here.  


 

 Me and my best friend. 

Happy Birthday Jeremy!!

 

22 comments:

  1. Great answers and I love your comment on the question of influencers. It's all common sense to me. Great job. My favorite pie is also the pecan pie. Yummm.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. "C" ... hmmmm? Celebrate?
    My mother used to make the best pecan pie -- using both light and dark Karo and coconut flakes. I've looked everywhere for a like kind recipe and now I'm wondering if she didn't make that part up about the coconut.

    Your shadow shot is so neat! Happy Birthday to Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your answers. Happy Birthday to your sweet Hubby. Enjoy the new week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your husband! I really hope he enjoys the pecan pie you made for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the influencers. I don't buy according to popular fads anyway. I just do things that I like and make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First...Happy Birthday to your husband...and goodness, you just can't beat a pecan pie. I've never had a rhubarb pie. I think words for the year are a good thing....I have not ever had a WOTY, but it might be a good thing to start. Your photo is so good and creative... Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother always asked for a pecan pie for his birthday. I didn't care for it as a child, but like it now. I'll be interested to hear your word. Still mulling mine over. I may or may not end up with one this year. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad to hear you don't follow any influencers. I think it's just another fad in our day. You're right, dear friend. take a moment and think for ourselves. Thank you for being YOU! And a big happy birthday to your husband. Pecan Pie! Oh, what a delight that will be for him. I hope he has a very special day with you, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never thought of having a word for the year. Interesting idea. Influencers irritate the H out of me. I'm not sure I think their knowledgeable about a given topic or product. I think they have a very high opinion of themselves and making silly/stupid video's beats working. I hope the trend goes away. Why are the people who follow them so easily influenced? We have brains, we should use them...IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to hearing about your word for the year. Happy Birthday to Jeremy and the pie sounds delicious. That is something about that influencer. Yes, those other influencers should not be doing that. Love the photo you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday to your guy! What a nice treat you had waiting for him. You are so right that there are so many evil influencers in our world. May God protect those young hearts and minds. So true about those dirty shoes. I'm late in coming around this week. Hope your Thursday is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated birthday wishes to your hubby. Hope he enjoyed his pie. Look forward to hearing what your WOTY is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet. HB to Jeremy! I'm liking this warmer weather, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. We tip all of the time. A bad food experience id NOT the fault of a waitress. They work hard. My sister use to waitstaff at a fancy one in Detroit when she first got married. The celebrities were the worst tippers she would say. Some not even giving anything. I love all pies except mincemeat. I HATE influencers. I saw one on tv last night that was walking on the edges of tall buildings. I sure hope others wont try this and die. Just scary. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE that picture!! It's super sweet and Happy Belated to Jeremy! Can't wait to read about your new word. They always inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed your answers. I didn't know that about Ballerina farms..I follow her. I would say that even if his family owned those companies, he may have chosen to make it on his own doing this homesteading thing, or maybe they helped out, all of which is okay by me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday Jeremy. I agree about the influencers.. some of them take advantage of young impressionable minds.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the picture of you both - hope you have gotten in some cross-country skiing! Pecan pie is my husband's favorite pie also! I do love rhubarb pie too. But if I had to pick a favorite, I would probably either go with lemon meringue. I've seen Ballarina Farm on IG. I didn't realize they were so wealthy, probably why she has so many followers. Interesting for sure. At least it is influencing in a good direction, as you said. Some of the other things you mentioned break my heart! Blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that first photograph of you both.
    Happy belated birthday Jeremy.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. We all have influence; let's make sure that, as you wisely pointed out, it is for the good of society! And that it promotes truth, not the lies which are passed along as truth everywhere you look. I do not appreciate being told, or it being suggested, what I tip. I am a generous tipper unless (and this is rare) there is a glaring, egregious reason NOT to tip generously or at all. I tip my hairdresser and pedicurist five dollars; it's all I'm going to do on top of an already-more-than-adequate amount I have been charged for the service. My favorite pies are lemon meringue and coconut cream. My household tip is, hire a cleaner. Hahahaa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was another good one! Loved reading your answers. I try to tip well and I did waitress years ago. I loved getting good tips! I bet Jeremy loved his pecan pie. Happy Birthday Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmm... Pecan Pie! One of my top favorites too :)
    Looking forward to your WOTY. Courage is the first word that came to mind for me, that starts with a C. I do follow one couple on social media, i don't feel that they are influencers? But, they might be?

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!