About The River

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

January Update ~ The Little Copper Dog

 

Hello Friends,

My sister gifted us a 2024 calendar ~ The Truth About Dog People ~ 

Writer and Illustrator ~ Jo Renfro

As I change the calendar page each month, I will share the illustration and  give an update on Ernie our rescue dog.

 

 

I shared the story about adopting Ernie here.

January Update

 ♥ Ernie has lived with us for 3 months.

♥ His paperwork from Texas stated that his birthday was December 10th, 2022 .. his paperwork from Wisconsin stated that his birthday is February 10th, 2023. He is a year old. He moved in with us in late October. Adopting an older dog, who was not neutered at the time, (he is now) a rescue and not knowing what challenges may all come with that, we are happy to report Ernie is doing very well.

♥ Ernie does not look like he did in the photo above. He has gained weight and the color of his fur has darkened.   

 


 

 

  ♥ He loves to play tug. 

♥ He loves to go for walks.

 ♥ He loves to cuddle.

We are working on.. knowing when to stop barking. He is a great watchdog, but once I have let him know it is alright these folks are our friends, he still is not sure and will give his two cents of woofs a few more minutes.

Jumping up.. we are still working on this, he gets very excited when we come home, when he is greeted by friends and when he plays.

 ♥ 

Ernie as been a very good distraction for me. And that is part of why I wanted to take on the challenge of bringing Ernie home. No one knows what a rescue has been through and how they will act. We have been blessed, Ernie wants to learn and is eager to please. And for me with society feeling rather shaky right now. The media keeping up the frenzy of FEAR. We took on the challenge of Ernie, keeping me grounded in reality. And enjoying life that comes with training up a little copper dog.

 

20 comments:

  1. Earnie is lucky to have come into your family. I hope he turns out to be a vey good dog.
    I adopted a dog when the kids were young and we lived in the extended part of my father in law's house but the dog was such a barky dog that we couldn't keep him. I didn't want to disturb my inlaws.

    Take care, hugs.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a (now) 14 yr old border collie/lab (a borador is the official name). I tell her when someone is coming, then again when they are in the driveway. She will get up, bark, and look like she will snap, but I say their name again and I give them a hug. When she sees me hug them, she accepts them as well. HTH
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ernie is so cute!! I'm glad he has been a good distraction for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earnie is adorable. I truly admire those who take on the responsibility of adopting a dog/pet. I see on our local fb page where there are stray dogs running around town, and in danger of getting hit by cars. so many animals are not even given the chance to go to a shelter, in hopes of being adopted. What a Blessing you all have to been to Earnie, and what a Blessing he is to you. Thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you are both lucky then to have found each other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful. And he is just beyond cute!! You took a big risk, but what rewards it brings for both of you! I love reading about him, please continue to keep us updated. And any new stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad Ernie is doing well - it's great that you rescued a dog but as you say you're never quite sure what you're going to get. Sounds like you're doing a great job with him though. Look forward to further updates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, he is just darling and looks like he's a great little buddy to have around...and a darling distraction. I have to say, you made me giggle with your "two cents" comments. That's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He sure is a sweetie pie. <3 Our dog has the same "issues." He doesn't bark much...except when people come to the door, and then he goes crazy. I like the watchdog part of it, too, but he needs to learn to quiet faster once I open the door. He also jumps on folks a little too much in general...if I say "stay off" before he jumps, sometimes that keeps him off. He's getting better, but it takes time. Other than that, he's a great dog, and it sounds like Ernie is, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our small mixed breed puppy joined Hubby and me shortly after we married and was with us for years. She was smart, loved to hunt and find things we would hide for her to find. Many years later she succumbed to old age. We still miss her.LC

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad Ernie found a loving home with you. It takes a special person to adopt an older dog. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love hearing how Ernie is settling in with you guys. I'm glad he's been a good distraction for you during these trying times. I'm sure he will continue to be. Happy Birthday to Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dog looks very cute. I love dogs, and I wish I had one, but I live in a small apartment and I travel a lot. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ernie hit the jackpot with you adopting him. He has the best life he can ever have. I think rescues once they feel secure with love and being safe and not harmed will want to please in every way. I miss my buddy so much. Condo's just are not the greatest place for dogs otherwise I would have another rescue. Enjoy Ernie. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hubby's name is Ernie, I've not ever run across it being a dog name. That may take some getting used to for me, lol. Nice pictures. Sounds like he's adjusting nicely to his new forever home. One day at a time for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ernie sure is a cutie. I loved reading a little bit about him. I didn't realize he was just born last year. He is becoming a beloved part of your family, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well he is precious and no one knows better than me the value of a rescue pet. Both my Rizzo (eight years old now, seven of them with us), and Sweetness my cat (five years old now, four and half of them with us) are such an important part of our household. Although they are technically "my" dog and "my" cat, TG loves them too. They needed me and I needed them, and I'll never be sure who rescued whom more! Big sloppy smooches to Ernie! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pleased that Ernie is doing well, he certainly looks so sweet.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet and fun calendar. I am looking forward to your series on future months!
    So glad that Ernie is doing well! The love of his new family will help him flourish!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!