About The River

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Cicadas

 

 

 


 

 Do not worry... it is a plastic bug. 

 

While studying to become a Master Gardener, we took several classes with the Insect Diagnostic Lab U.W. Madison. P.J. Liesch was our instructor.

P.J. has recently shared a new website to celebrate the Cicada. I have shared the information below. 

Are you in the path of the Cicada "invasion"?

 

 

"Now that the solar eclipse has passed, the next big natural phenomenon in Wisconsin will be the emergence of Brood XIII periodical cicadas in late May and June.  These insects last emerged in the state in 2007 around the time that Steve Jobs was releasing the very first iPhone.  While there were some reports of out-of-sync “stragglers” a few years ago, 2024 will be the year of their big emergence.  Since these insects emerge every 17 years, you might only have a handful of opportunities to see them in the Badger State in your entire life.  Despite having grown up in southeastern Wisconsin and turning 40 next year, I still have not witnessed an emergence myself and I’m really looking forward to this year’s activity.

With all the “buzz” about these amazing insects, I recently developed a new Wisconsin Periodical Cicada Website: cicadas.wisc.edu.  This site covers the biology, ecology, and distribution of these insects, with lots of photos, audio recordings, cool historical videos, and other resources."

Click here to go to P.J.'s website 

From P.J. Liesch Insect Diagnostic Lab U.W. Madison

19 comments:

  1. We may get a few here in North Carolina, they say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is the first positive thing I have heard about them. Yes, we are in the path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will get them here in Illinois. We saw them in this big amount about 17 years ago and they were noisy and everywhere. It will be interesting to see how this goes this year. Have a good week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that is going to really be something. I do remember them in the Chicago area but haven't seen any in a long, long time. I can't wait to hear more from you when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been hearing about this. Can you believe these things have been in the ground for years? I don't think we are supposed to have them here in Texas, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We experienced an over-the-top cicada year when we lived in the midwest ... if memory serves it was around 1987 because I remember that our Erica was about a year old and she was born in May of '86. We always have millions of screaming cicadas every summer (I hate bugs but I love cicadas, go figure), but I do believe we are set to have a greater number this year. Can't wait! Hahaha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when my children were small, we would listen to them, and they would get so loud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hearing the sound of the cicadas on a summer night...but I don't love seeing them. They're big and a little scary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meanwhile here in the UK ...

    New forest cicada is the only cicada native to the UK; however these mysterious little critters haven’t been sighted in the UK for well over 10 years and are highly endangered!
    https://www.buglife.org.uk/bugs/bug-directory/new-forest-cicada/

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Carla, I thought that was real at first. Nel used to have so many cicadas in her back yard when she lived in Georgia. Thanks for the websites - I will check it out right now. Haven't seen any here in northern California yet. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing: I'll check it out. I remember the "invasion" in 2007. We were living in our current house. I don't think we get as many as just over the border in Illinois, but it's still fascinating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard about cicadas and like you, I've not seen them myself. It sounds like quite an event, and I doubt I'll get to see any here in north Idaho, but it certainly is intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They say we will get some in Alabama, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are loud is all I can say. Hope you get to experience them. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Carla. I'll have to go check the site when I get the chance.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have all kinds of crazy bugs here in Florida....it's like a jungle and they love it. The only ones I'm concerned with this week is chiggers. I hiked through some tall weeds and bathed as soon as I got home but still......lol! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder if I'll hear them at our new house. They were always a part of late summer for us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have heard them before, but never new what they looked like until now!
    The plastic bug in your photo had me worried!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these little critters and have been fortunate to get to hear them more often. They are so cool.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!