About The River

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Happy Gardening Hodgepodge

 

Happy Hodgepodge my friends, it is Wednesday, time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 

 1. Do you complete your own tax returns or hire out? Something you've found taxing lately? 

We hire out to have our tax return completed.

Something I have found taxing lately is the weather. We had a strange winter, with temperatures in the 60's in February. In March we get cold, right down to 0!! In April we have a blizzard with below wind chills. All this goofy weather has stressed one of our hens. She has a respiratory illness. Thankfully she is getting better, she is four years old, getting up there for a hen. I am very happy to see and hear she is feeling better. She had a cough that sounded awful.

 

 2. It's spring (in the northern hemisphere anyway)...would you rather spend the day hiking in the great outdoors or planting a garden? Do you/will you have a garden this year? Flowers, vegetables, or a bit of both?

I am a gardener by trade. I have a seasonal flower business .. 

 The Little Garden That Could

 We grow vegetables, flowers and have fruit too.

3. Do you consider yourself a patient person? Yes, I am a patient person.  In what sort of situation is patience not desirable? I think if trouble is brewing, one better step in. I can be slow to do this, I need to work on learning to step in a bit faster.  Are you happy with the degree of patience you have in your daily life? Yes.  If not, what can you do to cultivate more of this quality in your life? 

 4. Do you like the flavor cinnamon? Yes.  If so what's your favorite something made with cinnamon? I like a hot cinnamon tea.... coffee cake, cookies, cinnamon ice cream.....

5. Learn by watching or learn by doing? Elaborate. 

By doing... I am hands on. My husband will be the first to tell you this. When he wants to teach me something or if I need him to teach me something, he knows he will hear "let me do it with your instruction." This really comes with tech stuff, if he does it for me, I forget right after he does it, how to do it. I have to do it with him walking me through the steps.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Taking a trip down memory lane. In 2021 with our local library, I put on a Garden Chat, May - September... it was just as people were coming out of the woodwork from the lock-downs/Covid19.

 





 

 

 

 

 

 

19 comments:

  1. I love the name of your business! I checked out your website and the photos of your flowers are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name of your business! I checked out your website and the photos of your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate folk like you who have gardener expertise! I, too, love the name of your garden! Fun. Hope the rest of your week is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love learning about others through the hodgepodge questions. The same guy has done our taxes for 45 years now. While I love to hike, I love flowers, so this would be a toss up for me. Your business name is so cute. I didn't realize you grew flowers to this extent. Beautiful!! You really have a talent for this. This is probably a mind thing for me, but I only like cinnamon in the cold months....I know your garden chats are so interesting...and just wondering if you sell your flowers in your own business or if you have other buyers such as florist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A garden chat is a great idea! I love the idea! I didn't know hens coughed and am trying to imagine the sound now. I hope she's on the mend. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chick and pansies are adorable and beautiful. Is there a vet nearby who treats chickens? A lot of them do not. But I'm glad she is getting better. I don't know the life span of a chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the first photograph on this post, it just shouts Spring!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, it's already time for the dreaded taxes. We have a friend who volunteers with doing taxes for seniors and he's been doing our taxes for several years now. My husband used to do it with tax computer program but can no longer do it because of dementia.

    Like you, I have a lot of patience but I also have my limit, lol...
    This is the first year that I haven't started seeds that requires 8 to 10 weeks of head start.

    I've noticed that your blog post fonts are so tiny, I need to expand it in order to read it so my plants will be delayed. I'm sorry about your sick hen. I hope the weather will improve in your area.

    Take care, hugs.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is nice how you share your garden knowledge with others! That chick is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carla. I bet you are getting so excited to get your hands dirty and seeing the yummy and pretty results of your garden. I wish I lived closer to stop by and get a sweet bouquet from your garden this summer. Have a great rest of the week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is some crazy weather. Sorry about your hen, glad she is getting better. Yes, you definitely have a talent with flowers. I'll have to try some cinnamon tea. Good for you being hands on. I like your random. that was nice of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Lisa, I just love the name of your business...and now you have be wondering, what does a coughing chicken sound like? Hmmm...might have to google that one! I hope she's feeling better soon!! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always love your answers to the hodgepodge! I am a hands-on too. I like to see how it is done, so I can learn for myself! You are amazing, teaching the classes, and all you do with your amazing Little Garden That Could! The weather has been so strange this year here too! Hoping that winter is finally done for this season! Glad your hen is feeling better, that is always so worrisome when they are sick! Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These hodgepodges are fun. I agree: This was a very weird winter. A few days in February, we were warmer here in Madison than in Las Vegas, where we were vacationing. Very strange. And then, as you say, we had winter weather late in the season.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great name for your business! Your Garden Chat looks like it was informative and a lot of fun. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What was taxing to me was the taxes I had to shell out today. UGH I am also a very patient person. We had a very mild Winter so am hoping Spring and Summer wont be odd this year too. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. That is some crazy weather for sure. oh..very cool on your #2 answer. I love your answer and photos for #6. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always enjoy these. Our weather hasn't quite turned the warm corner yet. I'm ready for it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This weather is crazy! Some of our asparagus got hit with frost this week. Thankfully most of it isn't up yet. Hoping those temps are behind us now!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!