About The River

Monday, August 17, 2026

Farmer Market

 

 

We stopped by our local farmer market to pick up some goodness we do not grow or we are still waiting to ripen for harvest. 

 

 

Ground cherries, do you like them? In the photo they are the things you see that have what look like paper on them. You pop them out of the paper husk and you eat a sweet surprise. 

 

 

We do not grow sweet corn. This year we needed to freeze corn. We have a farm just down the road from our village that has sweet corn for sale. And it is delicious.

Do you have a favorite goody you like to get at the farmer market?

 

 

21 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a ground cherry but am going to look for them now. We like corn from the market. My farmer's market is mostly my daughter's in-laws enormous garden : ) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh about the surprise cherries. I have never seen or tasted those. I would love to try them if I can find them. Hope all is going well. Happy New Week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post full of goodness. Everything looks so fresh and tasty. I'm looking for pears so hopefully we will make it to the farmers market sometime in the next couple of weeks. Have an awesome day Carla...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla, what a nice visit to the farmers market. You know, cherries are my favorite fruit, but I've never heard of ground cherries. That corn on the cob sure looks good. The one veggie that I like to bring home from the farmers market is the homegrown tomatoes. And if they have an apple pie, I'll pick that up too. ; ) Have a blessed week, Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the fruit and vegetables looks delicious and so fresh. I do love a farmers market. I am trying to grow sweet corn this year and so far it is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I think I need to learn more about ground cherries. I've never heard of them, but boy oh boy, they are pretty!! I also need to hear more about freezing corn. That sounds interesting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, sweet corn is a favorite. I love most summer fruit and veg tho. Freezing corn? I've never tried that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks beautiful and delicious 😋 I love farmer's markets. Potatoes, corn, cucumbers, tomatoes 🍅 are just a few items I love ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love ground cherries! They are so sweet. I have not had any yet this summer. We love farm markets and roadside stands. We get corn once a week. It is soooooo good. I get whatever they are selling. Tomatoes, cukes, peppers, squash, potatoes, cauliflower, and cabbage. Oh, and beets! I love to roast beets. I am going to freeze corn, so we have it for Christmas when we come back to the LakeHouse.
    Happy Monday, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Corn and peaches! I never heard of ground cherries! Woah!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all looks so fresh and perfect!! Phil used to eat ground cherries when he was a boy. I love fresh baked bread, which is at some of the Farmer's Markets. Also scallions and broccoli and potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carla, I never heard of ground cherries. I love to eat fresh cherries! I need to get to our local farmer's market. I like to buy honey from our local mountains. He sells it in glass jars. I like the honey oatmeal soap he makes too! My neighbor just gave us tomatoes from her garden. I have a brown thumb. It has been so hot here and I don't want to be outside except to take Minnie out. I posted a picture of us at my blog. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’ve not heard of ground cherries. I will have to look into those. I don’t shop at farmers markets much though I should. My sweet corn did not do well but I tried. That’s all we can do, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ground cherries are a new one to me, Carla! I used to go to a Farmers Market but haven’t been in years. My late beloved hubby and I enjoyed going together and it was always a fun time. I hope you have a lovely week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never heard of ground cherries before? I wonder where I can get them? I haven't seen them at our local farmers marked. I always buy zucchini from a farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of ground cherries. I wonder if they have them in my neck of ghe woods.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Add me with everyone,who has never heard of ground cherries. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked - they are closely related to tomatoes and tomatillos. Now it makes sense.

      Delete
  18. I have not seen or heard of those Ground Cherries. We are loving our yellow cherry tomatoes.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love corn and I have froze it before. Though I didn't par-boil. was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never heard of ground cherries. Now your farmers market sounds like the real thing. We often have farmers markets popping up in London but they tend to be more artisan types of stalls selling things like cheeses or bread, not actual farm produce, and they are usually very expensive.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!