About The River

Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Hello August and it is the Hodgepodge

 

August Sunset

Hello Friends, it is Wednesday and that means it is time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 

 1. What's something on your August calendar you're looking forward to? Or dreading if that's easier to answer. 

 We will be having our big family summer party in August. Our family will meet up at the family farm. We will have good eats, time on the water, time on the trails, time playing games and time together.

2. August 5th is National Oyster Day...do you partake? How do you feel about pearls?  

 No, I will not be taking in National Oyster Day.

As far as pearls, oh yes, I do like pearls. My parents gifted me a lovely pearl necklace and earrings a few years ago.

 3. Tell us about a time when you felt like 'the world was your oyster'. 

I feel that way when I plan the garden for the new season. I can play! I can pick out new plants to me, old favorites, switch things or keep them the same.

  

4. Trip Advisor lists seven islands in the US that require no passport (for US citizens). If you're answering today from outside the US you'll still need to produce yours. An-y-way, have you been to any of the seven? Let's pretend you get an all expense paid trip to one this month...which one do you choose and why? 

Catalina Island California~Martha's Vineyard Massachusetts~Mackinac Island Michigan~Key West Florida~South Padre Island Texas~or Kauai Hawaii

I have not been to any on the list.

I will choose Mackinac Island Michigan. I had a friend visit and enjoyed it. Her trip sounded very romantic. 

  

5. Sylvia Plath is credited with the following- 

"August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time."

Agree or disagree? In other words, how do you feel about this month? 

I agree. We can feel Autumn in the air here in Wisconsin by mid August for sure. As far as how I feel about August, I LOVE this month. It is my second favorite month of the year. 

  6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Another August Sunset 


 

 

22 comments:

  1. Great pictures, Carla! I like how there's a beautiful picture at the beginning and end of your post :). I love that you love August. Is it because of receiving garden produce? Or some other reason such as the weather starting to change? I mentioned how I like getting items from the garden in August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy that special time with family. Love all the pics so pretty. Hugs Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to read that you are enjoying your 2nd favorite month of the year. Now I'm wondering what your 1st favorite is...?? Your August family gathering sounds like a blast. I love how you embrace your garden and enjoy the bounty, too. Happy summer days to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The family get together sounds wonderful! Oh yes! I agree, the beginning of planting season is exciting.
    That is such a beautiful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mackinac seems to be winning today!! I hope I get to go one day! Your family summer fun day sounds great! ENJOY! Happy Hodge Podge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,

    I have an idea for a long-term collaboration that could help both of our blogs grow stronger together while creating mutual benefits.

    As a first step, we could each publish an original introduction article featuring one another's blog. To keep everything natural and valuable, each article would include just one relevant blog post link, allowing us to build a genuine and meaningful blogging partnership.

    Beyond that, we could strengthen our connection over time by leaving thoughtful comments on each other's new posts, exchanging ideas, and developing new collaborative projects. This kind of partnership can help increase our blogs' organic traffic, build stronger authority with Google, and create lasting value for both of us.

    I truly believe that successful blogs are not built by growing alone, but by building quality relationships with other passionate bloggers. A small step today could become the foundation of a much larger blogging network in the future.

    If this idea sounds interesting to you, I would be delighted to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Let's explore what we can achieve together.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband has never been to Mackinac Island Michigan and I'd love for him to see Michigan period. We used to travel up that way on our "trips back east" as a child to see cousins. WE stopped going back when there seemed to be a riot every summer. I haven't been back since.
    I much prefer, seeing the US than anywhere else. We have such a big beautiful and diverse country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A picture-perfect sunset Carla... I've always wanted to go to Mackinac Island ...We had freinds that went a couple of years ago and the photos they shared were show stoppers.. I can understand why August in a month you favor especially with all the gardening you enjoy.. It's a month that is so super dry around here and miserably hot... Your family time sounds wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your family party sounds like a lot of fun! What a wonderful event to look forward to. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The family gathering sounds wonderful. Seems like we could have a Hodgepodge meet and greet on Mackinac : ) Enjoy your harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pink sky reflection in the water is beautiful! I hate oysters! I think God made them closed up for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are beautiful, Carla! I do not like oysters! I smiled at Ginny's comment, perhaps she has good insight on this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice. I like your answer to #3, because I know the feeling and you describe it well. I have mixed feelings about #5. I'm pretty much in denial of autumn until September. I know that's weird, but the news channels start talking about "back to school" wayyyy too early. I even felt that way when my kids were young. August in S. Wisconsin is a wonderful, comfortable month, and I try to live in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. August is sorta household stuff month. We had our front trees trimmed a few days ago and sadly had to cut down the tree in the backyard. It had gotten pretty damaged during recent storms. We've got new doors being installed tomorrow, and in a couple of weeks new gutters being installed. I guess I'm looking forward to this all getting done. No, I do not do oysters in any form, looking at them makes me sorta nauseous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy the big summer party. I like how you feel about your garden each year. Yes, Mackinac Island was nice. We honeymooned there in 1972. That's so nice that you like the month of August. Beautiful sunset. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your family get together sounds great. We will also get together with family this month but your setting sounds better than ours. No lake for us although we do have a pool. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have visited Mackinac Island and it is an awesome island. Also visited Harsen's Island and Dickinson Island near me. Love your pictures. So beautiful! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the photo of the August sunset.
    I understand your feelings about planning the garden. You feel like anything is possible.
    Enjoy your family picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Carla, your summer family gathering sounds really nice! Where is the family farm at? I am sure you will post pictures here for us to enjoy. I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's nothing like a big, summer, family party! I have so many great memories from some of our own. I hope yours is filled with sunshine! ☀️

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful colours in your photographs.
    Enjoy your big family summer party this month :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful sunset. I'm not ready for summer to be over but I do look forward to fall. I love pearls but not oysters.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!