About The River

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Late Summer Greetings and the Hodgepodge

 

The garden is full of late summer color.

 Peppers and tomato are ripening.


 

 And now for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 1. How do you feel about the transition from lazy summer days to a busier fall routine?

 

 It is the opposite for me. My summer is far from lazy because of my work in the garden and my flowers. Once the evenings start to creep in earlier and the north wind starts to bring cold autumn air my cozy time will start.

 

 2. Your favorite cookie? 

 

Chocolate chip!! 

 

 3. What's something you've learned from a culture different than your own? 

 

2006 I went on a missions trip to Ukraine.  I learned many things while I was there. I worked at an orphanage. One of the things that stood out to me was the pride, the pride these street kids had for Ukraine. We had a big party on our last evening at the orphanage. We did face painting. They all wanted the Ukraine flag painted on them. I ran out of blue and yellow face paint.

What I learned from a culture different than my own, pride for Ukraine starts at a very young age and runs deep. 



 

4. Food critic, film critic, book critic, art critic...which hat would you most like to wear? Tell us why.

 

Food critic ... I love to try new recipes.

Recipes using new to me herbs, spices and more. 

YUM!  

 

 5. What's a small, random thing from your childhood that you still remember clearly? 

 

Our grandpa and grandma had a candy jar right by the door. We could take as much candy as we wanted. 

 

  6. Insert your own random thought here.  

 

She was found on the street. She was full of lice, dirty and hungry.

We poured out as much love as we could in the time we worked at the orphanage the summer of 2006. 

Every now and then I wonder how these children are doing today.  

 


 

26 comments:

  1. It sounds like your time in Ukraine was impactful - both for you and the precious children there. Thanks for sharing your stories. I have those same beautiful red peppers- will probably pick some later today :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful experience Carla. God puts people in our paths to help them or help us. I think you were such an angel advocate from God. I know you made a big difference sharing your love and God's love to these unfortunate children. I hope like you that these kids you helped continued on in life and have been blessed even more through the years. What a beautiful post today. Hugs Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saying a prayer, just now, for those little forgotten ones around the world. I personally know of similar stories from Romania. I'm sure it happens elsewhere too. What a sweet (and bittersweet) photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those mission trips are so beneficial for everyone. The Ukraine has really been a hotspot for suffering. We have a nephew that my brother and SIL adopted from the Ukraine. I can't imagine his life if he was still in the Ukraine. He was adopted at 5 years old and he is now 16. That red pepper looks so good and healthy. Enjoy the rest of your busy garden season!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful, I'm so glad you shared your story of visiting Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever written a whole blog post/series on your time in the Ukraine? It sounds like you had a powerful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish our children here took pride of our flag. What a wonderful memory of the candy jar at the front door. How fun that would be. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy being out in the garden but also like the cosy time that Autumn brings.
    Oh wow! Your trip to Ukraine sounds so interesting and those kids sound amazing! I hope those kids are all doing OK now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so interesting, Carla...and those pictures, so sweet. Those kids were so lucky to have such a warm and loving adult among them. I'm sure you made a lasting impression. Oh, and I agree with you, cozy, relaxed time starts in fall, chocolate chip are the best cookies, but I'm a film critic, only because I don't love to cook! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know this, Carla. That is so interesting. I've gone on a couple mission trips but short ones - only a week in Mexico. I've never been there for vacation.
    Yeah with all that has been going on I can see how you wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your random thought sure tugs at my heart. The need is great out there, even in our Country...I just pray that God keeps me alert to do all that I can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carla, I enjoyed reading your post today. Especially how you served in missions in Ukraine. I am sure the kids will remember you as a caring woman that showed the love of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's lovely that your garden is full of late summer colour, and your peppers and tomatoes are ripening.

    Enjoy these last few days of August.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are AMAZING!!!! Are these wild poppies? So beautiful. Here, we have only the overly large cultivated ones. The ones that droop in the rain. My fav is chocolate chip, too. Same with ice-cream. Though lately it has been replaced by cookie dough.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gosh, not again! The last anonymous comment is me, Ginny. Sometimes blogger makes me anonymous and I have no idea why!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful that you got to work at an orphanage in Ukraine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too bad about the Nazi problem in Ukraine...the Azov brigade is famous for Nazi symbolism, white supremacy and war crimes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh How Sad about that little girl. You just wonder how those things happen that someone could just abandon a helpless child. What an eye opener that trip must have been for you.
    We are moving into September my WI friend. Can you believe it?! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed your answers. It is heartbreaking seeing how destitute so. many are, whether abroad or in our own country.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know you went on a mission trip to the Ukraine. I'm so very proud of you my precious friend. What a beautiful young woman you are and I'm so happy to have your for a life long friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. That time in Ukraine sounded really life changing! I love trying new recipes too. We could be food critics together. I love that memory of your grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your time in Ukraine sounds very impactful! My brother was a missionary in Ukraine for a few years and much of his organization's work was at an orphanage and with at-risk youth. He built some wonderful lasting friendships while he was there. I hope the little ones you loved on while you were there are safe and well today.
    Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that your grandma had a candy jar right by the door, and you could take as much candy as you wanted. The pictures of the Ukraine kids are something else, Carla. I really enjoyed hearing the stories. How special and dear you treated that little girl. Your time at the orphanage will always be a memorable one, and such a wonderful thing.

    Your orange flowers are beautiful, and they made me smile on this Monday morning. Happy September Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The flowers are beautiful and that pepper looks great. True, you are very busy with the garden in the summer. Yum on the cookie. What a nice trip you took in 2006. So glad you were able to experience that. Good for you trying new recipes. Yum on the candy. Your random is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your garden pictures show the essence of the fall harvest season. 🧡 I too slow down in the fall, only because the yard and the gardens slow down.
    Thank you for working with the children from Ukraine. You do know, each and every one of them remembers you! Love never fades…

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!