About The River

Monday, August 10, 2026

Ode to August

 

 

Hello Friends,

Our days have been full of sunshine and no rain. It is getting very dry here and that is expected for August in our neck of the woods. The cicada's are signing and the butterflies are dancing during the day. And in the evening the crickets sing and the lighting bugs dance.

 During our walk last week we came upon a walking stick. We have not seen one in years. It was fun to stop and watch it walk.

 

 

Hello Mr. Walking Stick 

 

We are in full bloom.

 

Our grapes are turning purple. It soon will be harvest time.

 

 

Looking up at more grapes.

 

 

I have started to collect seeds.

The seeds below are of the pink poppy. 

 

 

The pink poppy.


 

We are still eating strawberries. My netting idea is working. You cannot see the netting very well in the photo, but I have netting on stakes, held down with the pots. This is keeping birds, chipmunk and squirrel out from stealing our strawberries.

 

 

We are still dealing with these guys. Thankfully they do not eat the vegetables or fruit.

Wishing you a fun filled August. We have a busy month ahead enjoying the warm summer days and cool summer nights. 

 ♥

Carla 

14 comments:

  1. Great pictures, Carla! I've seen a praying mantis a few times in the garden. They are neat to see! I love that you collect seeds to plant for next year. All of your flowers and produce looks so good. Great job! I hope you get some rain soon. We had a decent bit over the weekend which was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love to see a walking stick on the move. They are so unusual. We've had loads of rain, and I'm at my daughter's where many of her tomatoes split over the weekend because of the crazy storms and down pours. What will you do with the grapes? I love to see them growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Carla. I have not seen a walking stick in a very long time. This one is so pretty in color. I did see a daddy long legs on Saturday and this is another that I've not for a good while...Thank goodness!! Grapes are looking good and I hope you get a good harvest. Great idea for the strawberries to put the net over them. Wishing for you all to have a GREAT day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen a walking stick in a long time! All your garden is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice the garden looks! The power of water is amazing, such a difference between what is watered and what is not. I've not seen Walking Stick in forever as well.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh fun the walking stick. I remember seeing them when I was little. It has been a long time. Your garden is beautiful as ever. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden makes me wish I was a gardener. Even a small one. Everything looks wonderful and I can't imagine how rewarding it would be to eat that straight from my own backyard!! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I've always wanted to see the cicadas. Nel used to hear them when she lived in Georgia. That walking stick is so interesting that you came across on your walk. Your grapes are coming along nicely. I wonder what those little bug fellows are. They look strange. And your pink poppy is beautiful. Thanks for taking us along on your walk, Carla. Anything with nature, and I'm there. ; ) Enjoy the rest of the summer days, dear Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That walking stick was soooo cool! I have only seen one in my entire life. Thanks for sharing.
    So glad your strawberries are still available due to your smart covering. That’s wonderful.
    We have had lots of rain. I wish I could share some with you. We are having a good old-fashioned thunderstorm right now.
    Your pink poopy is so pretty. My poppies did not grow big enough or bloom. I think they do not like being crowded. Coneflowers and yellow buttercups took over. I may plant some more next spring, but in a different place.
    Happy Monday to you, and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, those Japanese beetles are driving me crazy! I love your pink poppies - we used to have some like that at our old house. I would love to start some in our garden here. Is it true they are allelopathic, and stop other plants from germinating near them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I have ever seen a walking stick. I love your little Hedgehog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carla, I have not seen a walking stick in a long, long time. You got some good pictures. It is really dry and hot over here. My husband has to fill up the bird baths twice a day. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still eating strawberries and seeing a stick bug is very, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, Carla. Lovely flower and the hedgehog ornament is cute.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!