About The River

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Harvard Beets

Harvard Beets
From Betty Crocker
No one knows exactly how these beets received their name, but it's a safe bet that it's connected to the best known of Harvard's colors - crimson. ( Betty Crocker also has a recipe for Yale Beets) 
  
Prepare and cook beets as directed. I boiled mine for over 1 hour to have them nice and soft. 
Heat your water to a boil, add 1 tablespoon vinegar. Place beets in the boiling water. Bring beets to a boil and then reduce heat and cook for an hour or so. Run cold water over beets; slip off skins and remove root ends. Slice, dice or cut into slices.

Mix cornstarch, sugar, salt and pepper in 2-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in water and vinegar. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in beets. 

5 medium beets
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar

I do not get real excited for beets, but my 12 year old loves them! This was a fun way to prepare them, and I liked Harvard Beets! So go ahead, try something new.

Let me know about something new you ate this week.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love beets! For real, my family thinks I'm weird, but I can't get enough. Can't wait to try these. Thanks Carla!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!