About The River

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

That is a BIG Pumpkin

I work at Daybreak twice a week. Daybreak is an adult daycare for those with dementia. We have guest speakers come in each week. This week we got to meet Dan who is a Wisconsin Giant Pumpkin Grower. Dan was so much fun to talk to, he really is passionate about giant pumpkins.
He carved the above pumpkins with a knife. No special tools, just a simple knife.
 Dan's love for growing pumpkins started when a co worker gave out some BIG pumpkin seeds to several co workers and asked if they would try and grow them. Dan was inspired. 
Dan became a member of the Wisconsin Giant Pumpkin Growers
This year he took top price at the Altoona weigh off with his pumpkin weighing 1615 pounds. 
I liked his shirt. It said Wisconsin Giant Pumpkin Growers .. Heavy Hitters.
 
Each April he starts his pumpkin seeds. He cares for his pumpkins each day. Watering, feeding and checking for pests. He has to place a sheet on the pumpkin during sunny days, so the pumpkin does not get sunburn. On cool evenings he has to put blankets on his pumpkins to keep them cozy. 

I loved this about Dan, each spring he has his grandkids pick out a pumpkin plant to help care for. It becomes a project for them.  If their pumpkin wins at weigh  off he will give them an additional prize.

Dan gave me some seeds. Did you know Giant Pumpkin Seeds can cost $10.00 a seed. 
My son Atticus was excited to give growing a giant pumpkin a try. And just the other day I was starting to brain storm what new plant will we try in 2020? We know the answer, a giant pumpkin.

We are going to give the other two seeds to my dad. 
I am thinking our 2020 Pumpkin Carving party is going to get real interesting. 
Oh and that reminds me. Dan's grandkids go pumpkin swimming. On Halloween he will cut open the pumpkin and the grandkids will pull out all the seeds and inside of the pumpkin. He shared that they just love it. He will save the seed from the pumpkins to give away or use to grow next season. 
On the bag it reads 1023 that is the pounds of the pumpkin that this seed came from.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I sure learned a lot of fascinating facts about this! And it will be such a cool family project! It could maybe even win a ribbon, especially with Dan's advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I can't wait to see your Giant Pumpkin next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting post. I'll be waiting with great anticipation to see the giant pumpkin in your garden next year. I'm sure with Dan's advice, your pumpkin will be huge.
    Happy Halloween.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow about the pumpkins Dan grows. How fun. I hope you get a big one next year with the seeds he gifted you. I am off this morning to have a test at the hospital and then home. Cannot believe how much snow we are getting already. The poor trick or treaters if any try to come out in this today. Happy Halloween.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting. Will be looking forward to following your 2020 plant's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful that you volunteer there! And what an interesting speaker to have there. Wow, I can't believe the weight of pumpkins the seeds came from! I hope you get a giant one from yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool about Dan and I love the pumpkins he carved. How awesome that he gave you seeds. It will be so exciting to plant them! What a fun post....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, can you imagine cleaning out a pumpkin that size?!
    Great posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting man to meet. His carving skills are amazing! I can't even imagine how big a 1615 lb pumpkin is. We had large pumpkins one year, but I doubt they were even 200 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one big pumpkin! I can't wait to see what your seeds turn into...something to look forward to for next fall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I'm just wondering - to grow a pumpkin that big, how big is the vine going to be?!? My regular-sized pumpkins took over the whole garden this year, I can't imagine what one of those babies would do!
    Happy pumpkin growing next year! Sounds like it will be an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowzers, that's a big pumpkin! Dan is very talented. Love his creative pumpkin carving skills.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness, that is a giant pumpkin.
    I enjoyed reading this post, very interesting.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!