About The River

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Happy Spring ~ let us release some stress and play in the dirt!

 FUN FACT

In 2020, the spring equinox (also called the March equinox or vernal equinox) occurs on Thursday, March 19, which is earlier than it’s been in over a century! This event marks the astronomical first day of spring in the Northern Hemisphere.

Seedlings from 2019

Today, I set up my seed starting area in my house. In front of the South patio window.
I have containers washed and ready. My soil and seeds are ready.
My labels are ready. Note: I am terrible at labeling. I always say to self "I will remember what I planted in this pot."  I am about to break that bad habit in 2020. I am labeling when I start seeds. I am labeling when I plant in the garden and I am going to label when I collect seeds.

Seedlings from 2019
According to the Hygiene Hypothesis, exposure to dirt, pets and everyday germs is good for the body and the soul. The health benefits of “dirt” include a stronger immune system, fewer allergies, better digestion, less heart disease, better stress management and a natural anti-depressant agent.

If you have some dirt, a packet of seed and a container. Take some time to start a few plants today.
Trust me, it will do you good!
If you have some dirt and a container but no seeds, let me know.. I have some lovely marigold seed, I will pass on to brighten your garden this summer. 

Watching and caring for those seedlings will help during these next few weeks as we patiently wait for spring to spring into full action and for this virus to go away.

Our Wisconsin National Guard son has been put on notice to be ready. He and his unit are ready to help Wisconsin and others as needed. 

Praying for all.. and a huge THANK YOU to all of those helping to keep us safe.

Stay well my friends.


 

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling me it's the first day of spring! Yay! I'm going to see if I have seeds in the garage to plant. Thinking of Sam and all of you and praying for safety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Spring!!!! You are so organized with your seed planting and it will pay off this summer. Praying for Sam and his team. Happy Thursday. Stay Safe.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your thoughts at the end of your post...what good so many are doing to help those in need! I love being outside and it's the perfect way to enjoy some of every day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of you and Sam, Carla. Keeping you all in my prayer and I just might start some seedlings. Have to poke around for some. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are certainly difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have a very good plan. We were planning our garden the other day, and want to add some shorter flowers to the vegetable garden. We talked about trying marigolds even, I didn't realize how many varieties there were until going through my catalog!

    Be safe. Been thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your plan is a good one! I agree. Wisconsin has so many resources for food, Lakes to fish, dairy farms, chickens everywhere that lay eggs now in sunlight lingering longer afternoons. I appreciate all those who are SERVING right now in these trying times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course it snowed on the first day of spring (gotta love Wisconsin!) I am also horrible at remembering to mark my seeds, but I'm trying to be better! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Spring, we have quite a few colourful spring flowers now … a joy to see.
    Keep well and keep positive.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!