About The River

Monday, October 5, 2020

And that day comes..

 

 

And that day comes.. the day you know that will come, but you put it way back in your mind so you don't think it will ever come.

 My dear friend Marv, who I have wrote about many a time here at The River, had a stroke. 

Click here.. 

Click on the above link to meet Marv.

Marv and I met years ago and became fast friends. We gardened together at the Community Gardens for several years. He was my gardening mentor and taught me so much. He enjoyed sharing his knowledge and love for growing vegetables and flowers.

Marv gifted his Garden Angel to me last autumn. This angel had sat in his gardens and he wanted to pass it on to a friend.

Marv is 92, he is very independent and healthy. I call him weekly. I called him the Tuesday after Labor Day. He shared about his recent trip to visit his family in Illinois. I updated him regarding the boys.

That Saturday I received a call from him, " Carla, don't worry. I am not dead, I am just in ER, I may have had a stroke."

Marv did have a stroke. His family came from Illinois and they took him back with them. He has a little house on their farm. He can go to therapy and heal with family surrounding him.  

The day he was released from the hospital, we got to go see him and say "Goodbye".

He cried, we cried, and his niece Kathleen said to us "you are family, we will keep you updated and you are welcome to visit anytime." She also said, "Carla, I was with Marvin, when he called you. Oh my what a way to tell you he was in ER."

That was how our relationship has always been.. serious, yes, but always looking at the bright side.. not matter what.


  Our Sam and Marv.. Army Friends.

Marv loved to share stories about the army with Sam. Technology has changed but several of the other things with in the army have not, so it was always fun listening to them share stories.

I was so thankful Sam and Marv had some time together this summer in between Sam's deployments.

 

Kathleen called me Sunday with an update..

Marv is home in Illinois. He is living in his little house. He has physical therapy daily and a care aid comes to help him give a bath. He is doing well learning to use his left side again.

Kathleen did say, "he does not feel he has a purpose to live." She said that worries her. She has hired two young neighbor girls to come play checkers and visit daily.

I plan on sending weekly letters.

Please share any advice of how I can encourage Marv.

Thank you for the love you all have given to Marv in the years I have shared his stories here at The River.

 ♥

Carla

12 comments:

  1. I am so glad he is alright, with his family, and being well cared for! It does sound like he is getting depressed...well, who wouldn't? I think it would be important to actually call him and talk with him, maybe once a week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Carla. My dad had a stroke about five years ago, and it's really tough. He is in his 70s, and was able to get a lot (but not all) function back, and is doing very well now, but it was a long, hard road. A good sense of humor helps a lot. Depression is a very real issue, though. It's good to hear he's surrounded by family and that good friends like you are there to keep his spirits up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, Carla, about your friend Marv. I've always enjoyed reading about his stories on your blog. I think you have a natural ability to express your love for him and I'm sure you will come up with the perfect words of encouragement to put a little spark back in his life. The stroke has whipped him down and he must feel useless but but like he said, he's not dead yet. You and the boys need him alive and well. I'll keep him in my daily prayers.
    Stay well and safe,
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Carla I am so sorry to hear this about Marv. I am glad he has a nice place to stay with family during his rehab. Hopefully with positive thought and encouragement he will be able to let the PT help him get back some mobility. I know how much he has meant to you and I am praying he can recover enough to come back home to Wisconsin. Where in Illinois is he now? I think if you can give some of us his address we could all send him cards of encouragement and maybe that would help him to know there are others that do not know him but know of him and want him to get better and are praying for him. If we can do that to help let us know. Big hugs sweet friend I know this is breaking your heart. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart dropped when I read this. I love your Marv stories. I'm so sorry to hear he had a stroke but happy that he is recuperating with his family. I wish I had some advice for you. Writing letters sounds like a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Carla I'm so sorry to hear this but glad that Marv has caring family who are looking after him and that he seems to be getting the right therapy. I'm sure he will appreciate getting letters from you. Perhaps you can arrange to Facetime too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about Marv. I'm glad to hear that he is recovery well from his stroke. I know you are going to miss having him nearby. He will love getting letter from you. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carla, I am so sorry to hear about Marv. You are family ...love makes family. Maybe if you write to Marv and talk about visiting when he is much better...he will want to live. He is missing his life and his ability to live it like he was. You know he does not want to be a burden either. Please hug your handsome son Sam, and tell him he is my young hero. I am praying for all of you. Blessings, stay safe. xoxo,love Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, sorry to hear about your friend's health situation. It's good that you're keeping in touch; I'm sure that means a lot to him...just staying in touch. Hope his recovery is as smooth and speedy as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry to hear that your friend Marv had a stroke. He sounds like such a wonderful person. Hope he recovers quickly and I know your letters will help him do just that. You are such a sweet loving person. Your friendship alone will be an encouragement to Marv. Love Henny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Carla, I'm so sorry to her this, but happy to hear he is well. I think the girls will be a big help and your friendship will cheer him. It's tough, I saw it with my mom, but visits - even phone call or virtual ones - help. Thinking of you all...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad Marv has family to care for and help him. Maybe you can have some "zoom" calls with him? If it is possible, it might be good way to lift Marv's spirits.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!