About The River

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Young at Heart and it is the Hodgepodge!

 

The above photo was taken of Marv and our son Sam last summer. Marv is 92 years old in that photo. His life long lesson was to keep moving and keep learning!

Now it is time to do the Hodgepodge..

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

 Click here to join the fun!


From this Side of the Pond

1. How would you define 'old'? I would define 'old' well loved.

 At what age is someone old? I will have to say it depends on the person. Our friend Marv was 92.. but you would never have guessed that. He was passionate about life and doing his best everyday. If you are new to The River, Marv was a dear family friend, who passed away May 2021. He was a Korean War Hero.. his stories could make you question how he could be so positive in life.. but he decided early that life is .. 10% of what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.


2. A place you've been that's old? Tell us something about your visit there. 

The Alamo.. it was very moving. We visited in 2012. At that time RESPECT for the Heroes who died was enforced by Texas Rangers. I was moved that how we were in the city of San Antonio, yet, when in The Alamo, I did not even realize city was all round me.

 


 


 


 

3. Something you miss about the 'good old days'? Thinking back to our visit to The Alamo, I miss respect. When were they anyway? I am not sure.. but I do know respect is something missing in our current times.

 4. In what way are you a 'chip off the old block'? Or if you'd rather, in what way is your child a 'chip off the old block'? 

I will go with our boys are 'chip off the old block' .. My husband and I both are patriotic. We know America is a true miracle. Our boys feel the same way.


5. Old fashioned, Old Testament, old timer, same old same old, old glory, good old boy, old wives tale...choose an 'old' phrase that relates to something in your life or the wider world currently and explain. 

Old Wives Tale.. currently we are hashing out what kind of winter it will be in Northwest Wisconsin. An abundance of crab apples..  the acorns are big and already dropping..

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 

This week I listened to an interview with Yeonmi Park. 

She has an amazing story! 

Yeonmi Park, a North Korean defector, suffered unimaginable horror on her journey to freedom. Desperate from starvation and oppression, she managed to escape to China, but had been sold. Several years later, she escaped through the Gobi Desert into Mongolia and then finally to freedom in South Korea.

17 comments:

  1. Visiting from Hodgepodge. Enjoyed your answers today. Respect is a great answer - we are definitely missing respect these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every one of your answers, and I love Marv's quote. 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. It is so true. He was a wise man and a good example to your sons.

    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Hodgepodge today. I love that pic of Sam with Marv. He was a great man and a true American. Glad both your boys got to know him especially Sam with being in service for our country. Have a great rest of the week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should definitely hop over and read Tammy's post today as she mentions wives tales and winter too. It was interesting. She blogs at Enjoy Life and is the first link today. I admire Marv and think his generation had a spirit of gratitude for our nation that is lacking in a lot of people today. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice HodgePodge post, and I enjoyed seeing the first photo of Sam and Marv. I hope the godless commies don't try to remove or dismantle the Alamo. I worry for our history and monuments. They deserve respect and protection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to travel and see the Alamo in San Antonio. My hubby's uncle lives there and I think they have a river walk in the city too. I'm thinking it might be a very cold winter, as it was one of the hottest summers in the Carolinas. We had 90+ degree weather for over 3 months. What's your prediction?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shots of The Alamo are powerful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A few people said respect and I think you're right. Any kind of deference seems to have faded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2 amazing looking men!!!

    And Marv's attitude was wonderful!

    You all are so lucky, to have known him and been his friend. And visa-versa.

    🍁🍂🌻🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your answers! Marv's quote was awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww I love seeing Marv! Great answers to all of these "old" questions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the picture with Marv! I learned about Yeonmi Park's story recently, too. It's mind boggling that stories like hers are happening now in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marv was a smart man and I love his attitude. I enjoyed my visit to The Alamo about 5 years ago. I agree, respect is definitely missing. I'm glad you boys are patriotic like both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Marv. This is a special photo of him and Sam. He sure was a wonderful person, and how blessed you were to know him.

    I like how you defined old as well loved. Such a precious post, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marv sounds like a wonderful guy and I love his smile. "Keep moving and keep learning" are good advice. The Alamo is worth the visit. I got to visit in 2016. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a lovely photograph of Sam and Marv.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!