About The River

Thursday, December 16, 2021

Creating an Amaryllis and Narcissus Garden

 

Creating an Amaryllis and Narcissus Garden 

I decided to try creating an Amaryllis and Narcissus garden to brighten up the months of January and February. I will explain how I created mine and in the next few weeks I hope to share it with you in full bloom.

First I found what I wanted to create my garden in, which is an old bucket with holes already in the bucket. I have an old wash basin  to set the bucket in, so any extra water does not drain on the floor.


 



 

 The night before I got my amaryllis out of the package and placed the roots in a wee bit of water. This wakes the sleeping roots.


TIP

I added grit to my pot.

Amaryllis do not like to be setting in water. Do not put water on the bulb.

Add your soil.

Plant your Amaryllis 1/3 to 1/4 above the soil.


During the autumn I harvested some moss that was growing on some bricks. I placed the moss on a paper towel and placed it in a plastic bag. This created a little greenhouse. The moss has been growing and doing well.

I used the moss to create an outdoor look around the bulbs.


As my little indoor garden grows, I will share updates. I am in hopes for a BIG pop of color in January.

NOTE

I have not had luck keeping my amaryllis bulbs year to year, if you have any tips, please share.

 ♥

Carla






15 comments:

  1. What a thorough instructional, everything we would need to know! Show us yours when it blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG how pretty this will be. Cannot wait to see your sweet indoor garden come to life. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I love the idea of growing flowers in the winter - but we're always travelling over Christmas, so I have to wait until January to start anything. Can't wait to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea for a little color during the winter months. Thanks for sharing! Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful...

    πŸŽ„πŸŒŸπŸ”₯πŸŽ„πŸ”₯πŸŒŸπŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting. They are such beautiful flowers. My father in law used to send me one each Christmas. Can't wait to see yours blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your amaryllis garden is nice, Carla, and I hope it blooms for you in January. I have a blog friend who just did a post about an amaryllis plant she got. She is on my side bar, a spirit of simplicity, if you want to ask her. You are always so creative with your projects of plants and flowers, Carla.

    Have a peaceful weekend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing further photographs in the weeks ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so pretty. I hope you get the color and blooms you want. I have old pieces of granite ward just like those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carla, thanks for the tips because my paperwhite bulbs are currently sitting in water! I love amaryllis, and I just read an article in a British magazine about how to use amaryllis to decorate for Christmas and every idea was stunning! Please update us when they bloom!
    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea about the amaryllis not liking water touching the root area. Thank you for that tip! Your inside garden is so pretty with the moss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea to put more than one! This year our bulb spurted upwards so fast and then bloomed about a week ago. Hopefully, its bloom will last until Christmas. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never tried growing Amaryllis. Thanks for the great tutorial. It would be fun to grow one. Maybe, next year.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, fun! Please do keep us posted with your progress. And happy holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!