About The River

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

December Article for the Cameron Chronicle

 

Hello Friends,

Today I am sharing the article that I wrote for our Village Newspaper, Cameron Chronicle.. "The Little Paper With Personality."

 

Merry Christmas from The Little Garden That Could

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


The garden is sleeping and dreaming of spring.

Us gardeners are also taking a wee little rest before we start to plan our 2022 growing season. For many of us, we still want to work with some green. A perfect way to do that is to create a Christmas wreath.


Christmas wreaths are made by twisting or bending evergreen branches into a large circle which are then decorated with pinecones and a red bow. If you do not think you can make a wreath, try creating an evergreen swag.

You can find different evergreens by shopping online, visiting a local nursery or going out foraging in your backyard.

Cut your evergreen to the length you will want it it hang on your door or wall. Add other artificial branches, berries and pinecones. Use wire to wrap around the stems to secure the branches. Add a bow for the final touch.


Another fun way to keep gardening during the holiday season is to plant amaryllis and narcissus. Create an indoor garden by planting three amaryllis in a large pot. Another idea is to plant narcissus and amaryllis together in a large pot.

The big blooms will make you smile as we wait to start flipping through our seed catalogs.


The Little Garden That Could wishes you a Merry Christmas, may you enjoy time with family and friends.


14 comments:

  1. Such a cute article. It is amazing all the things we can do even in the winter months. Indoor Amaryllis and Narcissus can really be beautiful and make us smile even on the darkest cold days. Have a good week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. a fine way to keep green in winter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your winter greenery advice and tutorials! You are such a hood writer, teacher, and gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet ideas...

    "Miss B.B."
    🎄⛄🌟🔥🎄🔥🌟⛄🎄

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The garden is sleeping and dreaming of spring..." I love that line!! What a sweet vision it conjures. Merry Christmas my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love the article. Yes, a swag is a wonderful alternative to the wreath! I love the positive vibe of your article and it's obvious you are a gardener down to your bones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great artcle Carla. My mom also had a Christmas cactus to brighten the Winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making a wreath would be so fun! I did add all sorts of branches that I picked around the farm to my grandparents old coal bucket. Topped it with a big red bow for our porch. I did pull it inside last night to make sure the storm didn't take it away, so today it will go back outside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photo. Those are some great ideas. The smell would be wonderful in the house.Thank you.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do miss the color of the garden this time of the year. In my neck of the woods, it's pretty much ugly, gray, and drab the bulk of the winter. I start counting down to spring as soon as the leaves start falling. But, as well as I do outside with flowers, NOTHING lives inside. It's like the kiss of death. But your ideas are good for most people. I've added you to my blog log.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing the blog so well and I hope you have something new for me to study.
    ប្រដាល់តាមអនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the blog so well and I hope you have something new for me to study.
    ហៃឡូ Online

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great article, so pleased you shared it here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful article, Carla. I like the name of your town newspaper. I hope that all your flowers and plants grow beautifully for you this Spring. Your photo of the tree and the pine cones and the snow and the red bow is so pretty. There's just something about red at Christmastime. Speaking of red, I think you will like my post today. It mentions a very special friend of mine. ; )

    Merry Christmas Carla!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!