About The River

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

It is a Favorite Autumn Veggie Hodgepodge!

 

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Hello Friends, it is Wednesday and that means it is time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun. 

 1. What's something you wish you'd figured out sooner? 

It has to do with finances. My husband and I both will say.. "Goodness, if we would have known this when we were 25!"

 2. Something from childhood you still enjoy today? 

When my mom makes me her special No Bake Cookies. I loved them when I was a child and still love them when she surprises me with them today.

 3. Are you a fidgeter? No, I am not.  What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word fidget? When our boys lived here at home, we nicknamed our neighbor "Fidget" because he cannot sit down.

 4. Your favorite fall vegetable? How do you like it prepared? 

I like kale. I was taught that when growing your kale in the garden you should let it receive a light frost, it makes it sweeter. 

Last week I made a fresh kale salad. 

I roasted pecans, let them cool while I prepared my salad. I used kale and spinach tossing in feta cheese, diced apple and adding the pecans. Then I drizzled a healthy amount of balsamic vinaigrette.

 5. What's something you find mildly annoying, but not annoying enough to actually do anything about? Might you now? 

We need to organize our freezer. It is mildly annoying.. but getting more annoying.

Any volunteers to come give me a hand with this project? Ha!

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 

 "It's the first day of autumn! A time of hot chocolatey mornings, and toasty marshmallow evenings, and, best of all, leaping into leaves!" 

Winnie the Pooh - Pooh's Grand Adventure

 

22 comments:

  1. Oops, I think my comment disappeared before I was finished. We grow Kale but it's my least favorite veggie but I make up for it by loving Brussel Sprouts. We dehydrate our Kale and store it like parsley and use it to add nutrients to soups and dishes.

    Freezers annoys me too. It's hard to keep things organized when the freezers are full. I'm not complaining but it's difficult to get to what I'm looking for. It's time again to reorganize mine a little.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hum....I think my favorite fall veggie would be squash. I like it cut in cubes, and roasted in the oven with a bit of ginger and or just salt and pepper. I love squash soup as well, though never make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them all. Happy Wednesday. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those ***nasty*** little things, like a messy freezer!!!!! -giggles-

    I don't actually fidget but.....A nurse who deals with finding blood clots, told me, always keep your ankles moving, when sitting. Keeps circulation and prevents blood clots in legs. I do it, when standing too!!!! Never just s-t-a-n-d still. Move those ankle some how.

    Sooooo, I suppose, other people would consider me, a person who fidgets!!!! -grin-

    🎃 🍁 🍂 🎃

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer Kale raw to cooked. Do you massage the kale before you prepare it? I've heard that's the secret to keeping it tender. I forget about those no bake cookies. I'm baking cookies right now for a neighbor who is having surgery. Snickerdoodles which are one of my favorites! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kale and spinach salad with the roasted pecans sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just cleaned out our freezer! Of course, it is small, and on top of the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "A time of hot chocolatey mornings"

    What a delightful phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always have such fun reading your answers, Carla, and answering along in my head. Happy Fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't care for kale, but then again the only way I've eaten it so far is smashed together with mashed potatoes into "stamppot". It sounds much better in a salad. Oh and your Mom's no-bake cookies sound delicious indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Winnie the Pooh quotes! I'll come over and help you with the freezer if you'll give me a bag of fresh Kale! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kale, pecans, roasted pumpkin seeds...now you're making me hungry. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make the kind of salad that I love -- pecans and feta are the perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with your answer for #1. They need to teach that in High School. That is sweet about the cookies. Sounds like a delicious salad. Love your random. The pumpkin seeds look yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love squash for Fall. All kinds! I am the same with finances. Wish I had done things differently in my 20's too. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your salad sounds delicious! I never would have thought of Kale as an Autumn vegetable but I'm not a gardener and that's probably why. Finances...I should of thought of that. Hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your roasted pumpkin seeds are wonderful. So nice that you have special childhood memories of your mom's No Bake Cookies. Your Kale salad sounds delicious with roasted pecans and feta cheese. And I always delight in Winnie the Pooh quotes. This one made me smile, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ditto on the finances. Oh! To have known when we were young what we know now! I can't eat kale-would you believe it causes inflammation in my system? So strange. So does cauliflower! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your kale salad sounds great ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. That salad sounds delicious. Those pumpkins seeds LOOK delicious. It is annoying to organize my freezer too. Do you share Mom's no bake cookie recipe? How sweet of her to surprise you with them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I am not much of a kale eater but your salad sounds so fantastic! I love feta and all the other things you mentioned, and especially the balsamic vinaigrette! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. The salad sounds delicious and what a great tip about letting the kale meet a little frost!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!