About The River

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Happy October Hodgepodge

 

Hello Friends,

It is Wednesday and that  means it is time for the Hodgepodge!

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

1. Thursday (Oct 13) is National Train Your Brain Day. What do you do to keep your brain in tip top shape? Is it helping?

My husband and I enjoy doing crossword puzzles together. I do think it helps, I usually learn a new word or two when we do them.

My dear friend Marv's advice in growing older was "always be learning something new". He was in his 90's when he purchased a new camera. I have taken his advice to heart. 

 

 2. You can sit with anyone in the world and 'pick their brain'...whom do you choose? Tell us why? 

I would pick my Grandpa Sam. My grandpa and I had a special friendship. With our son deployed and the world a roller coaster, I would love some advice from him.

  3. What's something happening in the world (or your corner of it) right now that you have trouble 'wrapping your brain around'? 


 We are so proud!

And yet.. I pinch myself that our Sam is making history with the Wisconsin Army National Guard 157th  with the deployment to the Horn of Africa.

 We are so blessed by all the friends and family who are praying and sending well wishes for the 157th Brigade. Thank You!!

 4. On a scale of 1-10 where do you fall in the pumpkin fanclub? (1=blech, 10=make it all pumpkin all the time) Tell us something delicious you've tasted recently that had some pumpkin in it somewhere. 

6 for me.. I do enjoy a pumpkin bar with cream cheese frosting.

 5. Share a favorite song, book, or movie with an autumn title, setting, or vibe. 

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

How to Watch 'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown' for Free 

 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

October is the month when the smallest breeze 

Gives us a shower of autumn leaves.

Bonfires and pumpkins, leaves sailing down.

October is red and golden and brown.

Anonymous 

16 comments:

  1. Hi Carla, I love all your answers. They are alway full of wisdom.

    My answers to (1) I play Free Cell on my computer
    (2) I would like to pick St John Paul II brain.
    (3) I can't wrap my brain around Putin's war in Ukraine.
    (4) I love pumpkin pies with whipped cream. Yumm.
    (5) I love Harvest Moon with Neil Young.

    Take care.
    Sending Love and prayers.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have so much to be thankful for and this month is a good one down South too! We took a hike and it was only in the 70s this morning! lol Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marv had great advice for sure. We should all live our lives to the fullest and do new things. Have a great day. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the poem, and Charlie Brown. We don't do crosswords,but do play Words With Friends

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have your son on my prayer list and am again say thank you for his service. I agree we need to keep stretching ourselves, doing new things, or something outside of our comfort zone to keep our minds active and engage the parts that don't normally get engaged. I learned to play Mah Jong this year and feel like that number side of my brain is a bit weak-lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hats off to your dear son serving us! May God protect him and his brigade! Sweet October poem! Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We both picked "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown"!! I love the poem at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy October! I've been super busy with things coming at me from every direction lately, so I apologize for not visiting more. Hopefully things will settle down soon...just in time for the Holidays...argh. You should be proud of your son--congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I enjoyed reading. These blogger challenges are very curious and fun. Best wishes, Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your answers! I'm not overly enthusiastic about pumpkin but I do enjoy a good piece of pumpkin pie! I don't go for the pumpkin spice drinks or anything like that. I do love a pumpkin spice candle, haaahaha! I think October is just all-around magical minus all the emphasis on the dark side, such as Halloween, which people seem to be obsessed with. To train my brain I just keep reading and researching. I do that every day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that "Charlie Brown"!!!!!!!!

    Not much on pumpkin flavor. but Dear Daughter in Law loves Pumpkin Pie!!!

    💛 🌟 💛 🌟 💛

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charlie Brown WOOHOO. Let's just hope they dont cancel him too. I love pumpkin everything as I love Fall. Enjoying October while I can as I know snow is on the way. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. October is one of my favourite months ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go on doing the crossword puzzles. My mother in law has been doing them for years and years and she is pretty darn sharp at 94 years old. Yes you should be very proud of Sam. Great movie choice. Love your random.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't laugh, but I've been listening to Charlie Brown Christmas music...I just love that jazzy sound anytime of the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marv was a very wise man, and we do need to take his advice!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!