About The River

Friday, October 28, 2022

Weeds

 

No Weeds Please

Hello Friends,

Today I am sharing the article I wrote for the Cameron Chronicle, "The Little Paper With Personality."

 

Weeds

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


October is here. Cold and warm air mingle together. Our light turns golden and we start to put the garden to bed.

A very important autumn job to do is pull weeds. Hopefully you can pull weeds before the seeds drop. With dry soil and rain during September, new weeds have germinated. Use the opportunity of any dry October day to tickle the surface with a hoe, the quickest way of killing thousands of weed seedlings in a short time.


Other jobs for the month of October.

Add mulch.

Put your leaves to work for you. Use them as a mulch for your garden.

Plant tulips, daffodils, allium, crocus and other spring flowers.


I’m so glad I live in a world where there are October’s.”

L.M. Montgomery



12 comments:

  1. Tickle the dirt!

    I like that. It's cute and bet it works.

    🎃

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, tickling the dirt... I've been doing a lot of tickling the dirt this week and since I was late weeding some of my gardens, I'll have a lot of tickling the dirt in the spring too.

    After you put all your gardens to bed, I hope you can rest.
    Happy Halloween. Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of getting the weeds before the seeds drop! You always have such useful info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always use my leaves as mulch. Great reminder. Great post! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice. We're having a very warm late October. We barely had frost here in my neighborhood. Lots of things still blooming, but the Zinnias and Cosmos are done. :( Time to plan for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet it's hard to put your garden to bed for the Winter, Carla. I know how much you love it. Oh, we do have weeds here in the mountains, and I am constantly pulling and raking and bagging. It's a never ending job. But I love to be out there at the same time. Your articles are helpful to garden lovers. And the October quote you shared is one of my favorites.

    Have a restful weekend, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I had hoped to plant some bulbs this fall, but we are still having the worst time with moles or gophers. Thinking it's probably best to try next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! Who was it that said that weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them?
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice article with lots of sound advice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are great ideas that you shared. Since we had some recent rain Mark noticed more weeds in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that quote. I can't believe October is already over. You give so many good tips and I should follow them!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!