About The River

Monday, August 28, 2023

Daughtered Off

 

 

 


 The Two Sisters

The May 24th, 2023 Hodgepodge questions had the theme about brothers. I am sharing the link to the post below.

Hodgepodge May 24,2023

The first question asked if you had any brothers. I went on to share that no I did not and that I came from a family of girls. 

 1. May 24th is National Brother's Day. Do you have a brother? No Older or younger? Did you raise brothers? Yes Tell us something about your brother or tell us something about your own children who are brothers.

We are blessed that our two boys are also best friends. I grew up with all girls. Everyone in my extended family had girls. When my husband and I had children, we broke the cycle on my side of the family, as the first to have boys. 

My blog friend Dewena shared with me the following comment..

 I didn't have a brother either, Carla, I had 3 younger sisters and out of a dozen cousins on my father's side only 2 were boys. And since neither of them had sons, my father's family name "daughtered off." Have you ever heard of that old term? Maybe it was known as that only in the South. 

 

I answered Dewena that this has happened to our family. My father's family name has been "daughtered off." I did not know this old term, and maybe it is only known in the South. 

I have a few questions for my dear friends out there.. here we go.

1. Have you heard of that old term "daughtered off"?

2. Has this happened to your father's family name?

3. Have you heard of ways to keep your  maiden name

.. the surname that a married woman used from birth, prior to its being legally changed at marriage.

Yes, I do know that you can choose not to change your name. I am thinking of other creative ways to keep your maiden name within the family if you know that it will be daughtered off. 

My one friend shared that she knew of a family who added the family name to the middle name of the first born child. 

My maiden name has been daughtered off and come to think of it, I have never asked my dad how he feels about that. I will have to do just that next time we visit and I will share what he says. 

In the meantime I am excited to hear your thoughts and stories about daughtered off.

 

Carla

 

16 comments:

  1. I always wanted a sister and had three brothers growing up. I had never heard the term daughtered off either. Very interesting. Happy New Week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard this term before. Our family had all girls for generations, and we broke the cycle as well! I had really wanted a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Daughtered off" ... I hadn't heard that term either, but it makes sense. My family seems to have a mix of boys and girls most often. Some of us daughters have used our maiden names for our middle names when we got married.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those darling faces!! I've never heard that term, but I do have a brother and a few guy cousins with boys of their own so my dad's name is safe...so far! Interesting discussion though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both my mother's side and fathers side have daughtered out. I have not heard that term before so maybe it is a southern term. My brother never had any children and my male cousins had girls. My moms brothers all had girls too. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came from a very large family. Ten boys and seven girls.I've never heard of this term.
    Take care,
    Hugs Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a southerner and have never heard the term "daughtered off" until today. But I like it. My parents had two girls: me and my sister, Kay. They divorced when we were still little bitty and my father remarried twice before his death at the age of 37. With his third wife he had two children: a son and a daughter. His son, my half-brother Mike, has passed on my maiden name to his own son, Aiden. So we're good! I hope Aiden and his new bride have children, and that at least one of them is a boy, so that the name McManus continues to flourish. As to adding the maiden name to future generations, my maiden name does not lend itself to that but I love it when a couple give the wife's maiden name as a first name to one of their children. For example, our Brittany's maiden name is James! Perfect! But it doesn't look like there's going to be a(nother) James Weber because they say that, with the birth of little Guy (middle name of my father, my half-brother Mike, and our Andrew), their family is complete. Incidentally, my husband had a beloved uncle named James Weber, so that would have been nice. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have never heard of the saying daughtered off before. But as you know, there are mostly girls in my family too, and when my son was born, I was so thankful to have a boy join the family. This is the cutest picture of you and your sister, Carla. What a treasured photo. Isn't that something that you are from a family of girls, and then came dear Sam and Atticus.

    Have a happy week, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting post. Adam with James of course will carry on the Pucci name. My maiden name was not carried on. My brother was gay and never married. I never gave this much thought but it is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly have never heard of this saying. Interesting though. I had one sister (she died when she was 28) and I have two awesome brothers. My maiden name was Kidd, and my brothers both have boys. Thankfully, the name will live on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was something different. I have one brother

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd not heard this term before, but I too know of a family who added the family name to the middle name of the first born child.

    Enjoy this last day of August and have a happy new month of September.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of the term daughtered off!
    In other news ... and feel free not to publish this ... but to get back to the scarf, I was going to make it for you for free, I wouldn't take any money for it, it would be my pleasure to make it for you. If you'd like one let me know. My email address is jill@emeraldcottage.co.uk
    I'll stop going on about it now I promise!
    Jillxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Carla, when I saw your title I remembered your post and us discussing it. It's interesting that no one else has heard the term. I'm pretty sure I heard it from my father's sisters, my aunts and their side of the family was from Alabama which makes me wonder if it originated in the lower South instead of from my mother's people. Your sister picture is darling!

    Do I remember from my high school Spanish classes that it is traditional for the mother's name to be included with the father's? With a hyphen? I love that idea. It is a little sad when a family name dies out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting! I've never heard of daughtered off!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard the term before, but find it really interesting. This has happened to my paternal grandfathers name. He did have two boy grandsons, but they then had all girls.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!