About The River

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

The Glut

 

Stuffed Round Zucchini

Hello Friends, today I am going to share my article for the August issue of the Cameron Chronicle, our local village newspaper... the little paper with personality.

 

The Glut

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


It is that time, harvest time. Many times we can have a glut of a vegetable or herb and wonder, what more can I do with all this garden goodness.


This season I am making herb cubes. I am harvesting mint, lemon balm, lemon verbena and more and making herb cubes. It is easy. Pick and clean your herbs. Place three to five leaves in an ice tray, fill with water, freeze and enjoy. When frozen pop them out and store in quart freezer bags. Make sure to label your bags. Tip: I use silicone ice cube trays and they work great. I am making a few bags of herb cubes of each herb to have on hand in the winter months. You can add your herb cubes to water, tea or a mixed drink.


Tomatoes are easy to freeze. Harvest, wash and toss into a freezer bag. During the winter months bring out your tomatoes and use them in your chili and other soups.


Peppers are just as easy to freeze. I harvest, wash, and dice my green peppers and freeze them. In the winter months use your peppers for omelets, homemade pizza and soup.


Enjoy the season of the glut. I know I am going to be munching on as many cucumbers as I can.


Until next time, happy gardening!


16 comments:

  1. I know what you mean by veggie glut. I'm in heavy harvest mode and I'm freezing a lot of Broccoli as they keep growing till the frost. My freezer is getting full. My husband planted way too many veggies this year. I like your advice on the herb ice cube. I've harvester my basil and purred it with olive oil for pesto base and froze it in the smallest Mason jars. When I want to make pesto I add the other ingredients and in no time I have pesto. I made the portions smaller this year.

    Happy harvesting.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, and so timely! We have a lot of veggies in our garden and we were just talking about how to freeze them. Love the herb cubes, we have basil and spearmint in the garden. Thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you can freeze whole tomatoes. And the herb cubes are such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be so great this winter when you want fresh herbs and you can just defrost them. Have a good week. Stay cool. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good. I did not know about this type of zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen or heard of round Zucchini. I no longer have a veggie garden or herbs, but like your idea of icecubes. Used to have a veggie garden and canned and froze stuff; but tired of the garden and live less than a mile from 3 different grocery stores that always have fresh veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stuffed zucchini looks delicious, Carla. It brings back so many memories - my dad planted zucchini in his garden, and would bring some in, and my mom would cook it that night for supper. Your zucchini bowls are a good and healthy meal, Carla. And wonderful writings from you to your village newspaper. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stuffed zucchini looks yummy. Enjoyed reading your post with excellent advice. We have had fun with our garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I use to have a garden I use to can and freeze. A great idea for herbs. Never did that. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Herb cubes are a brilliant idea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make (vegan) pesto cubes and freeze them for fresh pesto all winter. And besides putting them on pasta, I can pop them into a minestrone soup for extra flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post for your local village newspaper Carla, many thanks for sharing it here.
    Those stuffed Courgettes/zucchini look good, they are very much in season at the moment :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know it was even possible to freeze tomatoes like that! Great tips in this post, Carla, thanks! I like it when you share your articles with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been freezing grape tomatoes when we can't finish the whole container. I like to roast them with other veggies or add them to soups and sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Last year was the first year I froze tomatoes like that. So easy!!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!