About The River

Monday, November 27, 2023

Forcing Amaryllis

 


Hello Friends, today I am sharing the article I wrote for the November issue of  our village newspaper, Cameron Chronicle.. the little paper with personality.

 

Forcing Amaryllis

By Carla TePaske of Cameron, WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


We soon will see amaryllis at the shops. Amaryllis have become favorites to force to bring some splash of color during our winter months. I will share a few tips when it comes to forcing amaryllis.


When it comes to strong and healthy plants, often the bigger the bulb, the better the plant becomes. Use free draining potting soil to pot up. The bulb should be poking out the top of the potting soil (a third or so showing). This will prevent the bulbs from rotting, which they are often prone to do in waterlogged soil. It is also a good idea to place a stake or twigs for support. These look excellent staked with birch branches in a pot or as a table centerpiece with fairy lights, dried leaves, and moss at the base.

Be careful not to over-water the bulbs, keeping this step to a minimum until leaves appear.


If you’re cutting amaryllis to use in arrangements, insert a thin bamboo cane or stick from the garden to ensure the stems stay upright. Simply place the stick up the hollow stem and secure with an elastic band at the end of the stem to stop it splitting and curling up like the tail of a pig.

Don’t toss the bulb after the season. When you’re sure that no more spikes will surface, you can begin deadheading the amaryllis. When the stems go yellow, you can then cut them down. During the remainder of the year, treat your amaryllis like any other house plant. In late August, early September your amaryllis will need a dormant season. Place in the dark until ready to kick-start the process again.

Until next time, happy gardening!




11 comments:

  1. That is one plant that never was inclined to try growing. I think it's because they tend to have specific needs. I may try to grow one, one of these days. I would be more inclined to buy one already in bloom I think. My Christmas cacti are all in buds and blooming but I never treat them different that my other plants. They pretty well bloom where they are.

    I hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving gathering with your family.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father in law always sent one to me at Christmas. I haven't had one in years. I never gave thought to keeping the bulb. Thank you for this information. Looking forward to seeing your blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a great gardener, but they are the prettiest flowers. I could've used your tips years ago, when I was teaching. I received so many of these flowers during the holidays. They were pretty just one for me! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Decades ago I used to force tulips - I haven't done anything like that in years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it's too late to try and force mine to bloom this year.I've had it for years, and it keeps growing leaves, but never a flower since the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great info shared Carla. Have a great week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are certainly beautiful ... my mother-in-law always had one. I am no good with plants, hahaha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great article for your village newspaper, Carla. Very sincere with lots of info.

    ~Sheri

    **it was so nice to hear that you like the story, The Gift of the Magi also. Isn't it beautiful? Thank you for your prayer, dear friend. I appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom does this. They are a beautiful flower.Janice

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!