About The River

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Knock Knock Says December and it is the Hodgepodge!

 

It is beginning to look like winter... and it is time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 1. Does anybody really know what day it is? Last week we skipped the Hodgepodge and I just assumed this week would find us in December, but nope. Still November. Do you wear a watch? Use a paper calendar or strictly electronic? What's your favorite hour of the day? Why?

 The autumn season blew by us. And here we are getting ready for Christmas, winter and dare I say 2024! 

I do not wear a watch. I use a paper calendar. 

7 AM is my favorite hour of the day. I am usually heading out to feed and care for our chickens. Morning is a beautiful time for me.

 2. Tell us something about how you celebrated the Thanksgiving holiday. 

We enjoyed time with family. We traveled to my parents farm. Our boys met us at the farm, along with my sister and her husband. We played a few wild games of UNO. Our family loves to play games. 

 3. What's a sound you hate to hear? 

Sirens... I just hate hearing them. After two police officers were murdered here in our village in April.. and the sirens went on for hours and hours during this awful day. I just hate hearing sirens now. My mind says... what now!!  Then I pray, Dear God, and pray a prayer for safety for those keeping watch.

4. Where do you not mind waiting?   

Where do you not mind waiting... well that depends on if I am waiting with some of my favorite people. Recently my son had a doctor's appointment, we waited together and that was extra time I had to visit with him. 

5. I really wish____________________________________.  

My favorite items would not be discontinued. I have a pair of shoes I love, sadly they have discontinued making them. 

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Pumpkin Seed Cinnamon Brittle

We made pumpkin seed brittle giving a twist to the usual peanut brittle. 

Do you make homemade brittle? 


 

20 comments:

  1. We are certainly on the downhill slide into Christmas. We are a game playing family too. Love that everyone is off the phones and iPads to play old fashion games. Have a great week Carla. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made any brittle. The pumpkin one sounds amazing. Thanksgiving sounded so nice! I hate hearing sirens too (except the Saturday before Christmas when I know it's Santa on the firetruck giving out candy canes!).Morning is my favorite time...I've been enjoying my coffee by the beautiful Christmas tree while it's still dark outside. I can't believe we'll be in December on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin seeds but have never had brittle with pumpkin seeds - sounds yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your answers and I never tried pumpkin brittle. I probably would prefer some shelled pumpkin seeds in the brittle.

    I never like hearing the sound of sirens either. I always worry that someone I know has been injured.

    I hope that you can find another pair of shoes that you really like.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you spent Thanksgiving with family. I love card games too. I don't play Uno, but I do play a similar game called mau-mau in English (the Dutch version is called "Bullying") with a regular deck of playing cards. It sucks that your favorite shoes were discontinued. I'd hate to have the only pair of shoes I can wear (whilst I wait for orthopedic shoes, but that'll take forever) be discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like it either when favorite brands get discontinued. Sometimes I have had luck in finding them on Amazon or eBay. But usually at double or triple the price. Enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I played 34 hands of UNO with my six year old grandson over the holidays. It was over a period of about 5 days, but still a lot of UNO : ) We called it a tournament and he won. He's ruthless which I enjoy lol. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's all happening too fast for me. I like a watch when I go out because my phone is always in my purse so it's not convenient to look at it. I love a paper calendar. Glad you love your mornings. Sounds like a fun Thanksgiving for you and your family. Yes, sirens are never a good thing to hear. That does really suck when items you like are discontinued. No I've never made brittle but it's on my list to pick up at See's candy. Your's looks and sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always say a prayer when I hear a siren...I know someone is having a really bad day. It makes me sad! Enjoy your afternoon! Lots of hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sure is frustrating when a product you really like is discontinued. I've had that happen and it's no fun. I've never made brittle of any kind myself, and the pumpkin seed one sounds yummy! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like sirens either. Oh, I get the discontinued thing . or when a store stops carrying something you love. You should try finding Kakai pumpkins next year. The seeds inside are already hulled and they are sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Thanksgiving sounds fun. Never made brittle - not a fan of nuts and seeds. Yep I don't like things being discontinued either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We played Uno on Thanksgiving, too!! Games always make me happy on holidays with the kids. I also get frustrated when things get discontinued. It happens all the time. I actually ordered two pairs of shoes and kept one in the box so when the new ones wear out, I have a back up!! haha!! #burnedtoomanytimes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sirens scare me too, but for you it would be even harder to hear as I do remember the officers you told us about. Such a terrible loss. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pumpkin seed cinnamon looks so Yummy. Can you eat the outside of the seeds? I do not like the sound of sirens either, Carla. I instantly say a prayer, just like you. I love the fact that morning is a beautiful time for you. Me too. : )

    It's so nice to hear about your liked and dislikes through the hodgepodge, Carla.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was so nice to read you spent Thanksgiving with family.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do not make brittle but wow that looks good! I have a beautiful -- though casual, not dressy -- watch that my children gave me for my birthday several years ago. I wear it frequently, but only when I go out and only with certain looks, because it doesn't go with everything. But when I wear it, I really enjoy wearing it. I hate hate hate the sound of a ukulele, hahaha! I don't know why but when I hear it I just cringe. Also if on the TV a phone is allowed to ring and ring and ring and ring or a baby is allowed to cry and cry and cry and cry, or if someone stands at the door and knocks and knocks and knocks and knocks ... oh mercy. Can I get a witness? Haahaha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sweet of you to wait at the doctor appointment :) I don't make brittle, but seeing yours makes me want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!