About The River

Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Happy Birthday America and it is the Hodgepodge

 

Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue!

It is Wednesday, that means it is time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Click here to join the fun! 

 1. What do you love most about your country? 

I live in the USA.  I love the spirit American's have to go help. No matter the situation, you will find everyday American's go help.

An example:

Steve Svendsen is a local pastor. He was stuck in Haiti when the country collapsed in 2024. He was rescued by regular citizens. Below is a snip-it of  an article written by Ruth Erickson a local journalist. 

 

The Rev. Steven Svendsen, a local pastor who spent Feb. 26-March 10 teaching at the Haiti Bible Institute in Haiti, only to find no way out of the country when hoping to depart a week ago due to an uprising of gang violence, arrived back on American soil on Sunday.

"Thanks for all the praying and encouragement, friends," Svendsen posted about 5:30 p.m. Sunday. "Thank you Mercury One and Congressman Cory Mills for a heroic rescue. I'm back in the USA. I have been in three countries today. There is no place like home. We have it really good here."

 

2. Your favorite patriotic song? 

The Star-Spangled Banner 

 

 3. Red, white, or blue? Stars or stripes? Something you own besides a US flag with some combination of those colors or decorations as part of its design? 

I am a big fan of blue. I have a lot of blue decorations. Our home has blue trim. 
My husband and I have T-shirts for the big 250th birthday that are red, white and blue. And has stars. 
 
 
 4. What's one thing you want more of this summer: fun, rest, adventure, connection, quiet, or confidence? Elaborate. 
 
We are planning on having more adventures.  
We will have our annual family gathering in August, we spend several days together at the farm. We have the opportunity to have fun, rest, find adventure, connect with each other after not seeing each other for a long while. 
 
5. What was your ultimate, go-to summer activity when you were a kid? Do you still do any version of that today? If you answered yes, does participating in this activity as an adult make you feel like a kid?  

 
I loved swimming. We would head to the lake and go swimming weekly, sometimes daily. If we did not make it to the lake, we would go down to the river to swim.

I no longer swim as much as I use to do. Mostly, because I have to travel. When I was a kid, the river was in the backyard.

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 
 


 

22 comments:

  1. Americans do seem brave with regard to helping others. How wonderful that a local pastor was rescued from Haiti. I also think of the man from The Sound of Freedom who rescued all those children. Your time at the farm sounds like a great time to recharge and have reconnect with those closest to you. How cool to have a river in your backyard growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for his mercies and getting Paster Svendsen back on American soil. Happy 250th birthday America. Have a good rest of the week and 4th. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Ellen from The Happy Wonderer trying to comment
    for the first time using my phone. Baby steps...
    Amazing effort to bring the pastor home. Your family reunion
    sounds lovely. Happy July to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, amazing story about that Pastor. We are so blessed to live in this great nation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful story, lovely photos! Today, July 1st is Canada Day! Happy July to all my neighbours and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mentioned you have to travel a lot. Where and why? Me being nosy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 1st of July and looking ahead Happy 4th of July.
    "Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue!"

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. My whole home interior is red, white and blue. Love these colors. My favorite patriotic some is the same. We can swim in the river, but have not done so in years. Maybe this year we might take a dip. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. We'll be at a wedding on the 4th and I'm looking forward to seeing all the red white and blue attire. I love the Star Spangled Banner too. The farm sounds like fun for everyone. Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We swam every day at the beach or in the pool...which was in our backyard. But you had a river in your backyard?! That is the coolest thing! What a childhood you must've had playing there. Happy 4th my friend! We'll be watching the fireworks from our yard with friends. I'm excited!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great memories you had growing up, Carla! Thank you for sharing the story of the pastor. Happy 4th of July, dear friend. 🙏🏻❤️🇺🇸💙🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carla, I will leaving for my trip this week, and I wanted to wish my dear friend a Happy fourth of July! Your friendship is dear to me, and we've been blog buddies for over a decade now, and you truly are special to me. I enjoy hearing about your precious family, your gardening, your hikes, your love of nature, and everything in between. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is really inspiring about Steve Svendsen. Your family gathering sounds wonderful, I hope you all have a great time together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 4th! How wonderful you have an annual family get together in August. Swimming for me, too. Although now I mostly float. Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like y'all will have a good time at the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! You had asked about the bee pollen. It is considered a health food, and people add it to various baked goods or other foods. But it is unregulated so you never know where it came from, so buying it should be with caution!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hooray for adventures!! So many on the HP mentioned swimming. It seems to have been a childhood favorite of...well, all of us!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What you shared about the pastor was very interesting. Great song choice. Blue is a good color and I love that you have T-shirts to wear. Have a wonderful time at the farm. So many people said swimming. I didn't swim a lot as a child. Love your random thought. God Bless America

    ReplyDelete
  19. Family fun at the farm sounds great! We just had a house full here at our summer home over the 4th. I am now resting up! I too love the Star Spengled Banner. Today on my blog I shared a video of a local family that sings it every year at our Americana Lakeside 4th of July celebration. Swimming is so refreshing but I don’t do it as often as I wish too. I do like to bike ride though.
    Have a wonderful summer full of fun adventures! Happy July!

    ReplyDelete
  20. More adventure sounds great! I decorate with and wear a lot of blue! We swam in my grandmother's pond but not lakes so much. The ocean was our summer "pool" when we visited.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember when it dawned on me how extraordinarily fortunate I was to have been born in the United States of America. I was still a child but that realization just flooded me. I love my country. We are blessed by God to have been born in this great land! xoxo 🇺🇸♥️🇺🇸

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!