About The River

Friday, July 17, 2026

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

 

Hello Friends,

Our 52 dates continue... our kayaking beach day was our # 29.  

It was a good plan. We were going to kayak to the Siskiwit Bay and enjoy the beach.


 

 It was a good plan until the smoke from the Minnesota Boundary Water fires and the Canadian fires began to roll in. 

 

 

Our kayaking and beach day was cut short. 

We planned to try a new place to eat, The Corny Fish Shed. We drove on over to Cornucopia to eat. The meal was very good. Several people were there with the same plans we had as the smoke continued to roll in.

 

Once again on our adventures we came across some sayings and a duck. 

 

The Duck

LIVE FREE OR DIE

AN OWIE TO ONE IS AN OWIE TO ALL

 

 

We enjoyed fish tacos, made with Lake Superior Whitefish.

Guac and Chips.

 Praying for all in the firestorm. The evacuations of the those in the Minnesota Boundary Waters of those canoeing and camping, once again show the love and support we have for each other.

Praying for rain.

Praying for those who have lost so much in this firestorm.

 

Carla 

22 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your day date was covered in smoke. Five couples from our church are on a cruise on the Great Lakes. They have posted pictures and the air is yellow! The photos are so strange! When they got back to their cabins yesterday, the crew had left masks for everyone to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This smoke has filtered down to us too. It's horrible. They said tonight it would be moving west and away from here. I hope so. It feels like living in London Fog. Happy Friday have a good weekend. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how hard it is to have that much smoke. Just terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I sure hope that smoke is clearing! At first I thought it was just fog (in the photo). The fish tacos looks super good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m so sorry that your wonderful kayak trip was cut short, Carla. The meal looks so good, though. My sister in Ohio is getting the effects from the smoke, too, with air quality alerts.
    Hope your weekend clears up. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. They said on the news this morning that our area here is the epicenter of the worst of the smoke settling. Yesterday driving I had about a mile visibility in some places. It's awful. I haven't been able to get my usual 3 or 4 miles in walking the dogs. Not good for any of us. Glad the food was good at your new dining spot, Carla. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh I am just appalled at all of this smoke nonsense! How awful for many who have breathing issues, but for everyone who is forced to deal with it. I'm so sorry your kayaking date was cut short but wow that food looks delicious! Looks like you made the most of it anyway! God bless America! xoxo 🏴‍☠️

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are dealing with the same smoke. In fact, I am writing a post about it next. But how cool you found something else fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry that the smoke impacted your plans, though your lunch looks delicious. I haven't been following the news closely at all regarding the havoc the fires have been causing but I can only imagine. Our air quality has been impacted here though so far not too bad at all. Not far north of us, Columbus, I guess it's really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm sorry you are experiencing this smoke, Carla. Your date days are so sweet, and those tacos look really good. It was such a delight to come across that little duck. Yes, rain would be good right about now. I like how you carved "52 dates" in the sand. And although the smoke from the fires are not good, it makes for a pretty hazy picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you're continuing with your dates even though this one got disrupted. I hadn't realised the fires had been so bad until I started catching up on blogs. Hope your eyes are improving too - you mentioned new medication?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sad the smoke changed your date plans. The smoke is still lingering here. Day 4 of dealing with it now. I hate going outside even to water my flowers. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry the smoke ruined your plans, but glad to hear that you were able to salvage the day with some yummy tacos...and a cute duck! The smoke has made its way here, too. It's really put a damper on things, but I can't imagine how bad it must be for those actually close to or battling the fires.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear the smoke cut your day short, but many more dates to come. What a wonderful adventure you're having, Carla.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry that the smoke ruined your plans, dear friend. I enjoyed seeing your photos and the duck is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, it's amazing how far the smoke filters down to. Sorry it made you cut your day short. You did get some great shots of it rolling in though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry your plans were disrupted and also for the smoke in general. I was very unaware of how much the northern part of the US is impacted by Canadian fires until my daughter lived in Tacoma. It was a season all it's own and so many days we couldn't be outside with the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun! (Except for the wildfire smoke. That is sad and nasty--for Canadians and for those of us in the path of the smoke.) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that smoke was really bad. Sorry you couldn't enjoy the day like you planned. Your meal looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry I missed this post. Lots of family were here at our Lakehouse, so I have been busy. I am sorry your kayak trip got cut short. We too have had bad smoke. One day, we could not go outside at all.
    I really like Whitefish. We enjoyed it when we were staying in Lake Superior last summer. Here around Lake Erie, we don’t have it.
    I am off to read your latest post.
    Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm reading backwards so now I see what you did on your smokey day date. Those fish tacos and chips and guac are calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The fires have caused such problems.
    I did enjoy seeing your photographs and what a cute looking duck :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!