About The River

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

It is a To the Moon and Back Hodgepodge


It is Wednesday!
It is time for the Hodgepodge.

Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.





 1. Pokemon Go...your thoughts? Are you playing? Do you even know what it is?
 No, I am not playing Pokemon Go.
I do not really know what it is. I have heard a little about it on the radio.
The DJ was sort of making fun of it, saying "At least it is getting people outside and walking around"

 
2. What was something you collected as a child? Do you still have that collection? If you're a parent what's something your own children collected? Have you ever camped out, stood in a crazy long queue, or paid a ridiculous sum for a 'collectible'?
I collected sheep figurines as a child.
Yes, I still have the collection.
My boys both like to collect cool rocks.
No, I have not camped out or stood in a line for any ' collectible '.

3. "Collect moments, not things"...tell us about a moment you've added to your collection this summer.
My boys just got back from a week long trip to Ohio. They competed at  National's for trap shooting.
My collectable moment was on Monday. My boys came home on Sunday night. On Monday we caught up. I spent the entire day with them. We had a fun lunch. I took them to see the community garden and how it changed in a weeks time. They told me all the silly stories about the pranks some of the boys played on the coaches. They went into talking about goals for the future. It was a very special time for me.

 4.  What's something collecting dust in your home right now? Any plans to do something about it?
 My husband has a stack of books, newpapers and so on. 
No, I really can not do anything about them, I do try to hide the stack in some way, but it never works.

5. A favorite song relating to time?
Linger is a camp song, back from my Girl Scout Camp days.
 

Linger


Hmmm, I want to linger.
Hmmm, A little longer.
Hmmm, A little longer,
Here with you.
Hmmm, It's such a perfect night.
Hmmm, It doesn't seem quite right.
Hmmm, That this should be,
My last with you.
Hmmm, And come September,
Hmmm, I will remember,
Hmmm, Our Scouting days,
Of friendships true.
Hmmm, And as the years go by,
Hmmm, I'll think of you and sigh.
Hmmm, This is good night
And not good bye.
Hmmm I want to linger.
Hmmm A little longer.
Hmmm A little longer,
Here with you.
6. What's been your most frightening or your most interesting encounter with wildlife?
My husband and I went hiking in the Great Falls, Montana area. We did not even give rattlesnakes a thought.
Yep! Great Falls, Montana has rattlesnakes.


7.  On July 20, 1969 Apollo 11 Commander Neil Armstrong set his foot down on the moon. If you could travel to the moon would you go? Why or why not?

 No, I am not interested in traveling to outerspace. I have so many places on earth to visit, I am happy with that. Now if you asked my son, Sam, he would say yes! Why, because it would be cool!

 8. Insert your own random thought here.
 Thank You!
For the past two weeks, here on the Hodgepodge I asked for prayer for a friend.
I am happy to report he is doing better.
Dave is one of our boys Trap coaches. He was not able to make the trip to Nationals with the team because of his health. While the the boys went on to Ohio, Dave cheered them on from Wisconsin. And the team was shooting and praying for Dave.
So happy for the news that he is impoving.
Thank you!

22 comments:

  1. That is great news about Dave. Your boys' trip sounded wonderful! It's nice to catch up when they get back. Rattlesnakes? EEEEKKKK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a kid going off to college in the fall, I would love to linger just a little longer in the bliss of summer and childhood. It's all moving just a little too fast for me. Glad to hear about Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to sing Linger in our sorority. I have a little bit of a sheep collection, all bought by my hubs or girls. I don't tell people I collect them because there's a story that goes with it, and that's why my family buys them for me. Sometimes when you say you collect something you end up with too much of it : ) So glad to hear your friend is improving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your collectable moment, those moments are precious!
    "At least it is getting people outside and walking around" HA!!!
    Glad your friend is improving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rattlesnakes- yikes! Glad your boys had a fun, safe time and you enjoyed your day having the back :) Great news that Dave is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the 'linger' song. Thanks for sharing the lyrics. I haven't heard this before. Have a happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not playing Pokemon Go either, but my hubby and kids are. The other day we were driving somewhere and the kids kept yelling out things like, "Turn in here!" And then Hubby was like, "ok." It took me a while to figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! It would be WAY cool to travel in space! :) Rattlesnakes are a different story altogether. At least there aren't any of those in space. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard the linger song. I like it. I also like your special moments. So sweet to just have a nice conversation with your boys. I would have thought it was too cool in Montana for rattlesnakes, but I hope your encounter was from a distance. It's good to hear that Dave is improving. I know that is a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear your friend is doing better. Prayers definitely work. Rattlesnakes? I wouldn't be going anywhere they might be, or the moon lol Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheep figurines, how interesting. Snakes are a huge fear of mine. So glad to hear that your friend is better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my blog friends said it was the "Full Thunder Moon" last night. I would love to see your sheep figurines that you had as a child. I love porcelain figurines myself. I'm glad to hear your friend's health is improving, Carla. :)

    ~Sheri

    I smiled when I read that your boys like to collect cool rocks....me too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My son has been trying to explain this Pokemon Go business to me, I'm obviously too old for it, he is not too impressed either. You need to come hiking with me in NZ, no snakes in my country, the scariest critter is the Weta.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your moon is gorgeous!! I know the Linger that Te Cranberries sang, but not this one. I need to find out what all the fuss is about Pokemon go. I guess it's the new Angry Birds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for updating us on your friend's health -- that is good news! These hodgepodge posts are fun to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad that I am not the only one who doesn't know what the whole Pokemon this is about!
    My parents have rattlesnakes on their land, and sometimes they come right up to the house. Happy to say that I have yet to see one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful news about your friend! I will keep him in my prayers! I love your description of your special Monday with your sweet boys - sounded like the perfect way to catch up! Okay, I could NOT deal with rattlesnakes - did you see more than one? That would motivate me to flee to the nearest hotel! Could NOT deal with that! I'm with you, right here on Earth I'm just fine! I'm not even a huge fan of flying in planes, nevermind a shuttle! But, my hubby would be! I have to do this - maybe next week? So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think I'd like to go to the moon either. It would take forever to get there and by the time you do your vacation time is almost over and you have to turn back and go home.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of rattlesnakes either having meet a few along our local trout streams...

      Delete
  19. So happy Dave is doing better. I had a similar experience with a rattlesnake in New Mexico. I was in the Air Force and stationed in Albuquerque. I learned that the snakes crawl onto the concrete aircraft parking pads at night. I obtained a really good flashlight after that encounter. Thanks for stopping by my blog page and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the linger song ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thankful that Dave is improving....I am catching up tonight with your posts.
    I heard an interesting story about boys collecting rocks from a retired plumber who helped us last week. He and his wife lost their home to fire about a year ago. They lost everything, even their pets. He was telling that when their 3 sons were young, they collected heart shaped rocks for their mom and painted sweet messages to her on them. After the fire, she was able to retrieve a few of those rocks! So sweet.
    That's a great song; I'm not familiar with it.
    So happy that you and the boys enjoyed a special day together.
    Wishing you all a nice first week of August.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!