About The River

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Can You Believe it is Wednesday ~ Yep! Already time for the Hodgepodge

A week of 90 ° degrees .... I am ready for a cool down!

Hello, It is Wednesday and it is time for the Hodgepodge.
Joyce asks the questions.
We answer the questions.



1. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your summer so far? Why?
(1=eh and 10=best summer ever)

I would give this summer a big ol'8!
We all have enjoyed many fun summer activities.

All though it could cool down for this Northern girl, to the perfect temperature of a high of 70° and 25% humidity!

 2. July 26th is National Aunts and Uncles Day. Did you have many aunts and uncles growing up? Were you especially close to any one or maybe all of them? Are you an aunt? (or uncle for the men who join here on Wednesdays) Share a favorite memory relating to one of your own aunts or uncles or relating to a niece or nephew who call you Aunt (or Uncle).

Yes, I had aunts and uncles growing up. My mom's side of the family is close. My dad's side of the family is not. I have many wonderful memories with my aunts and uncles as a child.
No, I am not an aunt. Sadly, my sister and her husband are not able to have children and decided not to adopt.
One of the memories that came to me right away was when my aunt Sally let my sister and I cut her hair! Needless to say, it got shorter and shorter! My aunt was not all that happy with how her cut turned out. Looking back at it, I am not sure it was wise to have rock -n- roll music, two teen girls dancing around and cutting aunt Sally's hair. 

 3. What's your favorite food dipped in chocolate? What's your favorite food dipped in cheese?

I love chocolate anything! Strawberries, peanuts, raisins, coffee beans...oh my! If I had to only pick one, I would pick strawberries.
My favorite food dipped in cheese, a good homemade soft pretzel.

 4. When were you last astonished by something? Explain.

My boys!
This week we have VBS at our church. All three of us are volunteering. I am Snack Director
 (how do like that title) 
Well, as we all know, nothing works perfect at VBS. My boys are able to adjust on how to make things work, a tweak here and a tweak there.

 5. Surf board, paddle board, ironing board, Pinterest board, score board, clip board, bulletin board...which board have you most recently encountered?
  
Pinterest board .... I was pinning a recipe and looking up a recipe I had pinned earlier.

 6. What's your favorite story from scripture? Why that story?

Many years ago I participated in a Bible study of the Book of Esther.
I enjoyed the story and the conversation with the group of women I shared the study with.

 Esther 4:14
"For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" (ESV)

 7. If you were to travel from the east coast to the west coast in your own country, which five cities would you most want to see?

This is a hard one! What I am going to do is pick the five cities traveling East to West that I would want to visit and watch a baseball game in.

Boston - Fenway Park
Miami - Marlin Park 
Chicago - Wrigley Field
St. Louis - Busch Stadium
Denver - Coors Field

 8. Insert your own random thought here.

 I saw my first Monarch Butterfly in my garden today.


20 comments:

  1. I'm not sure you deserve summer, Carla, you like a high of 70!! :-) I can picture the scene with Aunt Sally. Lol. W what *was* she thinking! Haha. I love your verse from the book of Esther. §o perfect for our time too, isn't it! It's great that you guys are working with VBS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure you deserve summer, Carla, you like a high of 70!! :-) I can picture the scene with Aunt Sally. Lol. W what *was* she thinking! Haha. I love your verse from the book of Esther. §o perfect for our time too, isn't it! It's great that you guys are working with VBS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun way to pick your five cities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous butterfly shot! I have friends who travel around and have made it a goal to see a game in every major stadium. Kind of a fun way to see America at the same time. Enjoy your week at VBS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the very same thing to my sister - she ended up with a pretty short haircut! The butterfly pic is gorgeous. Enjoy VBS. VBS memories are some of my favorites. And I love the Esther story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty butterfly shot!! Yum..strawberries in chocolate and pretzels in cheese!! Miss HS is working at VBS in a few weeks. You sound very official as snack director!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 70Degrees would be good. We've had a heatwave here but temps have dropped now and today we've had rain. I'm not sure I'd let any of my nieces cut my hair lol especially as none of them are hairdressers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this butterfly shot! YES BOSTON my friend and I would meet up with you! VBS snack director, would love to see what you've been serving up! Hope you have a great week. Your summer sounds ah-maz-ing so far! LOVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful butterfly! I have just started to see a few really big and colorful ones around here. As a matter of fact, a giant one just flew by my window!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe Wednesday is here again!

    What a beautiful butterfly, the colours are simply amazing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun way to road trip! Wrigley Field is so much fun in the summer. I love the butterfly photo, so beautiful.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visiting from Hodgepodge! I love the thought of a soft pretzel in cheese! Yum! Great answers and I am so glad I found your blog! You can follow me back at Annster's Domain! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your butterfly on the flower is simply stunning!! What a great shot! I also like the tree shadows on the snow. I take it you are a big baseball fan! Our son has been to Fenway Park.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun to be working at VBS with your sons. I would like the title of snack director :) I've been seeing Monarch butterflies lately, they are so beautiful. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So lovely..What a flawless butterfly shot! Yum..strawberries in chocolate and pretzels in cheese!..What a fun approach to street trip! Wrigley Field is such a great amount of fun in the late spring.
    http://www.ranthamborejeepsafari.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the picture of the butterfly. So pretty. I would love to make a snow angel right now in that first picture. It is hot hot hot here in Illinois too. Humidity stifling too! They are saying we may see high 70's this week end. I hope so. It would be nice to shut the air off and fling open some windows. Have a great rest of your week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photo of the monarch!
    Wouldn't 25% humidity be lovely after what we've been through?
    I love the story of your aunt's haircut. My aunts never trusted me and my sister to do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum on the pretzel dipped in cheese! Love that you picked baseball fields to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even in winter, I still have the odd Monarch butterfly flitting around my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning shot of the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!