About The River

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

The Tale of Two Brothers

 The Tale of Two Brothers

 August 1st our two son's moved into a two bedroom apartment together. Our National Guard son is heading back to college August 24th. He will have online courses Monday, Wednesday and Friday. He travels to campus on Tuesday and Thursday for in class learning.

 Our 2020 Graduate son is currently working full time. He is looking at starting his generals at Chippewa Valley Tech College in the Spring semester of 2021.

 Here is a peek at the apartment.

 

National Guard son's room.


 

I gave the boys an outdoor plant and put some solar lights in it. They love having a patio. We loved that the apartment was on the first level and we could use the patio door to move in.

 


 

We found a fun shower curtain. 

We put in the shelving for them. They each have a shelf and baskets for their toiletries. The bathroom is small,  by adding the shelving it will work out well for them.

 

 

The kitchen is spacious, with lots of counter space. 

We are very pleased with the new apartment for the boys. 

It has a washer and dryer in the apartment. Their very own washer and dryer. Yay!

It also has a dishwasher and microwave.

 

 

I created this little corner for them in the kitchen. Tomatoes, onions and garlic from mom's garden.

They both like to cook. 

 They are doing well and are happy with their place.

 

And with the move, that means that my husband and I are in an empty nest. 

I have gotten use to Sam being off and on his own. 

Having my little guy head out the door, well to be honest, my heart broke for a few days. I am so excited for the boys to venture out into the world and want to make it a better place.

At the same time, it is the big. ugly. world. and in 2020 it seems even more ugly.

I am thankful for friends and family that cheered me on the first few weeks of the empty nest.

I am getting use to the empty house. I am not use to the echo that is in their old room, with all the furniture gone. We are going to re do their bedroom into a guest room. I already have paint colors picked out and the way I want to decorate it, so that has been something to get my mind off the echo. Ha!

A dear friend gave me some positives to ponder...

♥ They still want to live together as friends, not only as brothers.

Good job on fostering that relationship, mama!

 ♥ They are responsible enough to live ALONE!

Good job teaching those  "real life" skills, mama!

 ♥ They can afford to live on their own. 

Good job teaching those budgeting skills, mama!

 ♥ You survived and thrived, adapted and learned these past 18 years as their parent and you will continue to do so in God's grace. 

YOU'VE GOT THIS!

11 comments:

  1. So nice to hear that brothers room together. 2 of my three sons, roomed together for a few years before one son married. They still are best friends, going hiking etc. My one son is a Navy Veteran now, having served on the USS Theodore Roosevelt -2004-2009.

    Makes a Mom proud when her sons can be friends. I know some families where that is not the case. Great job, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. When grown children are a Joy, I always give the parents credit. They raised them. They loved them. They taught them. They deserve a pat on the back!

    🍁🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! They are able to live on their own, love being together, and can even cook! You have done an awesome job with them! Their apartment looks really nice, and the bathroom shelves look like they were built there from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited for the boys but I'm sorry about your empty nest. Those are great positives about the boys! I think the job is good for now and starting school in 2021 is the right choice. The apartment looks great. Wishing them success in this new venture and it is awesome that they are together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your friend had wise words. Of course it's hard letting them go and having your nest empty but it does show what a good job you have done as parents to your 2 sons. Great that they're happy to live together. My sons get on well but I'm not sure they could cohabit without a few ups and downs. The apartment looks very homely and you know they will be fine. A washer dryer and a dishwasher? They'll have no excuses to bring laundry home or not have a clean cup to make visitors a drink lol. Just hope they remember to tuck the shower curtain inside the bath when they shower ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh such a bittersweet time, isn't it? I think the fact that they want to live together is amazing and that they can afford it on their own at such young ages is even more amazing. You should be super proud, your friend is right. And of course your heart hurts. You're the mama bear. We always want the cubs in the cave...but hopefully they're close by and will visit often. Or better yet, you can visit their fabulous apartment and have them cook for you!! Hang in there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should be very proud! Shelley is in no hurry to move out....I need pointers from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so neat that they have each other!!! But I am confused, I thought you have three sons!? Are the two youngest living together? Homeschooling produced great results. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the best of the best of the Mom club. You raise to wonderful human beings. They both are showing already how great a job you did. It is so hard when they first venture out but it will get easier. You will be surprised how much they will return home to see you and have dinner or hang out. They will miss you too. They both have such good heads on their shoulders and have a wonderful outlook on life even in these crazy times. I love that they want to live together and are not only brothers but best friends. That is soooooo awesome. I cannot wait to see what you do with the room. Big Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting for your boys.
    They will miss you as you will miss them, it is a period of adjustment.
    Good luck and best wishes to you all.

    All the best Jan

    PS I did enjoy seeing your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy for them. It's great that they are able to be roommates :)
    Looking forward to what's next on a Tale of Two Brothers!

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!