About The River

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

September to November in the Greenhouse

 

Hello Friends,

The first of September I cleaned my little greenhouse and planted seed for an autumn harvest.



My little greenhouse has rain gutters. They get full of leaves and green ick during the summer months. I cleaned them with a toothbrush and soapy water.

I also wash the inside walls of my greenhouse after the summer months.

The humidity makes things grow, including some stuff that you do not want to grow, the green ick.


 
I planted spinach, kale and lettuce.




 I began to harvest in late September. 





A snowstorm hit in October.. the little greenhouse kept the greens safe and warm.

We continued to have fresh salads the next few weeks. 


 I harvested the last of the greens November 6th. We were blessed with a week of warm temperatures. I was able to get all my garden work finished, the house and yard all buttoned up for winter.


 I am so pleased with the flavor of the kale, sweet and tender.

 

I added a few of my potted succuletns into the greenhouse. 

I put straw on top of them , thier winter blanket, for their winter nap.


 

I also put leaves on the soil areas inside my greenhouse. This will add to the nutrients in the soil.



 And the Christmas tree is up in the greenhouse.

All is tucked in and can sleep until Spring.

And as I write this, snow is falling, so we buttoned up just in time.


 ♥

Carla

 

13 comments:

  1. You sure do put in a lot of work to take care of it properly. What a great idea to put a Christmas tree inside! Your greens look so good and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little greenhouse looks as good as new. How nice that you could harvest until it snowed and that you have all your yard work done on time. Alas, my yard work is not done this year, yet. I wish I still had my greenhouse that had to be torn down for the well. The frequent floods has put that dream to rest.

    Take care,
    Hugs Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds so cozy and perfect! I'm glad you had some time to clean and finish the jobs needed to be done. Now you can enjoy your pretty green house from outside. The Christmas tree is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carla. Your little greenhouse is so sweet and gives you such pleasure and wonderful treats to eat. Love when you put up your little tree for Christmas in the green house. So cute. Have a great week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla, this is a wonderful post! You and your little greenhouse are amazing. This post shows me that I do not know how to make use of a little greenhouse. I've never grown anything in my little greenhouse. :( My husband just walked past and I showed him all that you've grown and harvested since sept. 1st. He said, well, you just use yours to store plants. I want to go to the garden right now and change things in my little greenhouse. Thank you for such an encouraging post. I love your little Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful! I've been meaning to plant some lettuce in my sunroom, but I think I'll wait until after the holidays. Your greenhouse is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to know where you purchased your little greenhouse, or what brand it is. I would love to have one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your plants were all tucked in and warm during the snowstorm. I can't wait to see your little tree lit up this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you were able to get it all done and you're ready for Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twice my comment has disappeared! Salad makings are the perfect excuse for a greenhouse and i know you make good use of yours. My husband and son worked for two months this summer building a 12 x 14 greenhouse for my d-i-l built of old windows they had collected for decades in the barn. It is so pretty and now holds her hundreds of potted plants and houseplants and a pretty hammock for her to relax in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your salad greens look lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. This makes me want a greenhouse even more. I bet those greens were such a treat as the seasons changed.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!