About The River

Thursday, February 17, 2022

An Overdo Visit

 Hello Friends,

During Christmas week my husband and I visited my aunt Marcy. It had been awhile since I saw her in person. We do not live close to each other and there are family issues that make the entire thing a mess. It became a visit of memories. I do not know a lot about this side of my family. My aunt was willing to share, perhaps from old age or just the fact it is time to let go. She shared what she knew with me, what she did not know, she tried to help me solve.

None the less, I still do not have all my questions answered, but know more than I did before. I did take photos of photos, and photos of notes of some family history.

I will share some of what I found with you.

My grandpa Roy, who I never met. 

I did not know his birthday or date of passing. I just knew he died from an accident.


A dear friend and distant relative of my grandma's did some family history on some of the family. I took photos of the entries that interested me.
The Family Tree ~ my grandma Martha's dad ~ William 1891
My aunt Marcy's first rosary.

The home my dad was born and raised in. I later lived in this house too. My dad took over the farm after my grandpa was killed. My dad took over the farm when he was 15 years old. He met my mom, married her on July 14th, 1973 and started his own little family.

We did not always live in the old farm house. I actually started my life in a trailer home across the driveway of this big farm house. But that trailer house tipped over in a big storm, with my family in it. The story goes, during the rocking and rolling of the storm.. I laughed the entire time. I was only two years old.

Some of the photos, I took photos of.

My aunt Marcy above riding her horse.

My aunt Marcy below.


More photos of photos that I took.
My grandpa Roy.

 Me and my aunt Marcy, Christmas week of 2021.

Carla

 

21 comments:

  1. Hi Carla, I'm so glad that your visit with your aunt has given you some answers regarding your family history. Finding your roots is a great way to connect and know where you come from.

    I love that your aunt still has her first rosary.

    It goes to show how innocent and carefree a child is, with you laughing the whole time the trailer was rocking until it flipped over in high wind. That is too precious and you lived to tell about it many years later...

    Somehow, I see a resemblance between you and your aunt.

    Thanks for sharing this bit of your story.
    Stay safe and well.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to find out more about your family history and get a few pics along the way too and some fun stories of when you were too little to remember. Happy Thursday. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Marcy looks great! I'm glad you were able to get some information and some photos. Funny how you laughed with the trailer moving. Did you move into the house after that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were able to get a few family memories. I always say you should talk with your elders as they hold the our memories of the past. A wonderful picture of you with your aunt! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, I am so sorry your details are so sketchy! I hope you are able to find out more. Your grandpa seems like he was a faithful and good person. So far, you have gathered quite a history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to be able to catch up with your Aunt and get some answers to your questions. It's hard when people have passed away to source information about family. I have lots of photos that were my grandmother's but I don't know who many of the people in them are and there's no one of her generation or my mother's generation left to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great visit! It must have been wonderful to get all of that family history and information. The photos are so precious to have! I can imagine 2 year old Carla laughing away as the trailer tipped. I'm glad you're not scarred by the experience and that everyone was ok. What a story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Carla, what a nice visit with your Aunt Marcy. I'm so glad you got some answers to some of your questions. It's so good of you to want to know more about your family, and that's a wonderful photo of you and Aunt Marcy. I loved hearing your stories, and I enjoyed seeing some of the old photos, especially the house that your Dad was born and raised in. Your Aunt Marcy's Rosary is beautiful. Did she give that to you? Our family trees are so important, and it's very special that you are getting to know yours.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did her a lovely favor, by this visit, and being interested in family history. What a joy it must have been, for her to have an interested listener, and to pass on this information.

    Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it our age that makes us want to know more about our family and where we came from? My daughters are in their forties and don't seem to care but then again when I was their age I didn't really either. So glad your aunt was ready to help you with your questions. I've been trying to do a family tree (I love that yours is an actual tree!) and have had some luck with the Mormon's site of geneology. Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the glory and the heartbreak of family histories! I'm so glad you made that trip. God bless you as you process what you learned. I understand. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you going to do anything with the photos you took? Family history is something that interests me, too. Thanks for sharing your stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you had such a nice visit and got some answers about your family. How nice to have those family photo's. I do lots of genealogy so am excited for you. Marcy's first Rosary is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So fun to see those old photographs. Families and family history is so interesting. I'm glad you got to learn a bit more of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely long distance visit that brought joy to you both and further knowledge of your roots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting! I love family history, all the stories, the photos, the letters. I'm glad you had a nice visit and gathered some more details. I didn't know a lot about one side of my family either and over Christmas I had a long chat with my cousin who filled me in. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was wonderful, Carla, and how precious to learn more of your family's history. I love the hand drawn family tree and the photos. A real treasure.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for visiting retirementdaze.com. Fellow bloggers like you help me see so much of the world and meet wonderful people who fill my cup with joy. Again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, these are real treasures.
    Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so happy for you that you were able to spend time with your aunt, and put some pieces of the puzzle together. The photo of you two together is precious.

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!