About The River

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Happy #500 of the Hodgepodge

 

Happy #500 of the Hodgepodge! 

This cupcake is for you Joyce.

Joyce asks the questions.

We answer the questions.

Here we go! 

Click here to join the fun!

 

 1. Last time you drove/flew 500 miles (ish)? We drove to Milwaukee, Wisconsin at the end of September 2022 to send off our son and the rest of the 157th for their deployment to Africa. Milwaukee is 300 miles from my home town. What's a place you'd like to visit that lies approximately 500 miles from your current location? I would like to visit the International Peace Garden. I am going over 500 miles for this visit, 583 miles.

2. Tell us about a time recently it felt like you were 'racing against the clock'. 

That time is coming right up on me. It will be the garden season. We have a list starting with the clean up from the major winter storms we had. 

 

 3. Have you ever attended any really large sporting events? Nope. What was your impression of the experience?  

The Superbowl, The Kentucky Derby, The World Series, FIFA World Cup, The Indianapolis 500, The Daytona 500, The Olympics, The Masters, Wimbledon, The Boston Marathon, March Madness, Tour de France, Monaco's Grand Prix, The Open (golf), The Ryder Cup, The Stanley Cup Finals..of the events listed which would you most like to attend in person? Or maybe one that's not listed? I enjoy baseball, so I will go with the World Series.

4. Are you an iced tea drinker? Yes! If so, do you drink it year round, or only in the spring and summer months? Only in the spring and summer months. Do you make your own or buy it bottled? We make our own. I usually make Sun-tea. Sweet or unsweet?Unsweetened Flavored? I do use herbal tea blends to make some of my tea or I will add fresh mint. Lemon or no lemon? Yes, to lemon. How about a Long Island Iced Tea? Nope, I have not tried a Long Island Ice Tea.

5. April 20th is Volunteer Recognition Day...do you volunteer in some way?Yes, my husband and both volunteer. We have volunteered for our local library, community and sportsmens club. Tell us about it. My most recent volunteer work was making desserts for the sportsmens winter trap league events. If not, tell us about a volunteer you appreciate. 

 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Our little Village is glowing in blue lights each evening as we honor Police Officers Emily and Hunter and begin to heal from the horrific events of Saturday April 8th.

 

Honoring Emily and Hunter 

 

 


 

 

12 comments:

  1. I picked the World Series too and also enjoy homemade iced tea.

    How incredibly sad about the two young officers who were killed. Wondering where the national outrage is? Thank you for sharing the link to the article about their memorial service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't hear about that shooting; agree with where is the outrage? I enjoy hot mint tea but not in my iced tea, for some reason. There's a cafe here everyone likes and their is minty but I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a sport enthusiast but when the kids were in school I attended their sport events.

    I don't travel much anymore, specially since Covid.

    I rarely drink ice tea, but when I do it's usually homemade with no sugar. I don't have a sweet tooth. lol...

    I mostly volunteer with the church on a regular basis or with organizations I belong to.

    I think it's wonderful that your village is remembering its fallen officers. Blue lights are so appropriate.

    I transplanted loads of assorted tomatoes, green peppers and Jalapeno peppers, petunias, and sweet potatoes yesterday. Now I need to transplant some red Salvias.
    The grass is just starting to turn green.
    Enjoy this time of year.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank. you for the cupcake! I wish I could reach through the screen : ) I'm so sorry to read about the officers killed. Lawlessness abounds and only leads to more lawlessness, which for some reason these days is very often excused for reasons that make no sense. It all just makes me so sad. I think some of these recent shootings are a result of the fear so many people have about how out of control our country feels right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blue lights will spread the message far and wide. And I bet they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about Emily and Hunter. Police do such an incredible work and deal with the good the bad and the very ugly and so many drug crazed individuals these days. That's nice that you could be at the send-off for your son and the others deployed. Hope the rest of your week is good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will say a prayer tonight for those fallen heroes and their families. So nice you have lit blue lights for them. Have fun when you go on your trip. Make sure you take pics to show us. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about the sad events in your community. But congratulations on #500. The cupcakes look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The international peace garden sounds like a great place to go...I had to look it up. That is heartbreaking about the officers. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. With both trips you will be closer to the 500 miles for each combined. Mark is out working in our garden right now although we don't do as much as you do. Hope you get to go to the World Series someday. It is so wonderful that you volunteer. That is lovely about the blue lights. Gabby's cousin is going to have a funeral done by the Los Angeles police station.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no...so sad. That just makes my heart hurt...too young and so senseless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love to drive hither and yon ... our last long trip was up to Michigan to attend the 50th wedding anniversary party of TG's brother and our sister-in-law, Ron and Marcia. I am so sorry about Hunter and Emily. That is tragic and so painful. May God bless their families. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!