About The River

Monday, April 24, 2023

Rekindling a Tradition

 

Hello Friends,

I am sharing the article I wrote for the April issue for our little Village newspaper, Cameron Chronicle, "The Little Paper With Personality."

 

Rekindling a Tradition

By Carla TePaske of Cameron WI ~ The Little Garden That Could


It is the April issue of the Cameron Chronicle, my subject this month has to do with the first day of May, the celebration of spring with a May basket.

May baskets are fast, easy and inexpensive to make, and they are a fun kick off for the garden season.

It is unknown when May baskets originated, but they are probably linked to ancient European rituals that marked the first day of May as the awakening of spring. May baskets became popular in the United States during the 19th century, when people began celebrating May Day by slipping a few early blossoms from a budding garden or field into a container and then quietly leaving it at someone’s door before knocking or ringing the doorbell, and running away. They are meant to be anonymous. May baskets are a gardener’s way to have fun, and put a smile on someone’s face.

Recycled tin cans make an attractive May basket. The cans are able to hold water. Affix a wire handle: punch holes near the top edge, thread wire through, and twist the ends neatly.

Let’s revive the tradition. Get ready, get set, tie some flowers to a doorknob, and run! Until next time happy gardening!


14 comments:

  1. I never heard of this old tradition. I hope people in your town will give it a try. You would need to be a fast runner to get away before someone opened the door, lol...
    Thanks for sharing. Let us know how it turns out.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tradition. I might have to do something like this for a few people. Happy New Week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know these facts about May Baskets. How many have you made? It is such a cool idea and needs to be revived. I haven't heard anything about May Baskets in years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know about May baskets. Such a lovely thing and I can only imagine being the giver or the recipient of one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved your article, Carla, especially since it's about May Day, and I love the month of May! What a delightful story about people slipping a few blossoms on someone's door, and knocking or ringing the doorbell and running away. I wish they still did this tradition - what a surprise that would be. Thanks for sharing, Carla. Wouldn't it be nice if this tradition would come alive again?

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy gardening! I love the idea of May baskets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bring on May. Lovely May basket! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this. We used to "Boo" neighbors at Halloween when the kids were small. I like this better...I might try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! Almost May--yay! [No more snow, please. ;-) ]

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice thing to do! Everyone loves flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recall May baskets fondly, when I was a child I made them and gave them to neighbors, I hung them on front door knobs. Nice you wrote a column about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to read your article and I wish you happy gardening too :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful idea! So gorgeous and simple! I am going to do this next May. My daughter Audrey loves fresh flowers so she will receive my first May basket! Maybe Dagny will help. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

High Fives from Wisconsin!